I don't understand how Capps' hop is legal

Frobby

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why stop with two hops?

Because the idea of two hops is in and of itself ridiculous. I get CC needing to be regulated in his mechanics, but the handwringing is way over the top. This isn't the start of a new wave of loophole pitching that will wash over the league and render all bats ineffective. It's one guy with an unorthodox motion that the league needs to stay on top of and make sure is uniform in its implementation.

That's obviously not the point. You're explaining away the one hop...would two hops be okay?

It is the point. There's an argument for a "hop" being the start of a motion towards the plate with momentum never really stopping. You honestly believe a pitcher could take multiple hops while maintaining momentum and coordination in execution? You're assuming multiple hops are possible because one hop is possible, and then trying to use an argument against that as a rationale for not allowing one hop. If I knew my latin I'd say that's flirting with reductio ad absurdum, but I don't really know my latin all that well.

Allowing one hop is okay and doesn't mean you have to then allow a pitcher to hop his way all the way to home and hand the ball to the catcher...

But it would be a continuation play.

See below. This is like saying you can't allow for a neighborhood pivot at second base on double-plays or else you need to be willing to give infielders 3+ feet, or 4+ feet, or 5+ feet, etc.

I don't see how one relief pitcher requires MLB rewrite the rule book. I think common sense enforcement is fine, and can absolutely allow for a hop.

When are the Orioles going to file a protest/complaint with MLB as a result of their experience? They have a similar video as the Braves, which is a very blatant violation...no foot dragging there, just a full hop of about 2 feet. MASN's video was similar.

The minor league umpires called it an illegal pitch (awarded a ball in the count each time). He should be suspended in my humble opinion.

I believe that the sole purpose of the hop is to bring the pitcher closer to home plate and closer to the front side of the mound, to get an advantage over the hitter.

It may be technically legal under the rules, but if that's true the rules should change. The pitcher is supposed to be 60 feet 6 inches from the hitter, but by the time he is done with his hop, Capps is delivering the ball from a few feet closer.

Obviously this is a hard motion to perfect but the advantages are so obvious that I can't believe that other young pitchers won't imitate Capps if this motion is not banned.

It is the point. There's an argument for a "hop" being the start of a motion towards the plate with momentum never really stopping. You honestly believe a pitcher could take multiple hops while maintaining momentum and coordination in execution? You're assuming multiple hops are possible because one hop is possible, and then trying to use an argument against that as a rationale for not allowing one hop. If I knew my latin I'd say that's flirting with reductio ad absurdum, but I don't really know my latin all that well.

Allowing one hop is okay and doesn't mean you have to then allow a pitcher to hop his way all the way to home and hand the ball to the catcher...

There is no logic to defending one hop and replanting of the back foot and not defending multiple hops as well.

This is ''blatantly'' illegal. It is equally as illegal as if a batter hopped during a swing and his front foot landed in front of the batter's box.

There is no logic to defending one hop and replanting of the back foot and not defending multiple hops as well.

This is ''blatantly'' illegal. It is equally as illegal as if a batter hopped during a swing and his front foot landed in front of the batter's box.

It's not blatantly illegal. If it was MLB would ban it. It is ambiguous. If you watch the motion of a power pitcher like Chapman you will see that his stride takes him closer to the plate than most pitchers and his back foot comes off the rubber and drags for about 8" to a foot. So it is not that much different than Capps. The difference would be if Capps clearly replanted his back foot after it cane off the rubber and pushed off again before throwing. He doesn't quite do this. It is a grey area.

See below. This is like saying you can't allow for a neighborhood pivot at second base on double-plays or else you need to be willing to give infielders 3+ feet, or 4+ feet, or 5+ feet, etc.

I don't see how one relief pitcher requires MLB rewrite the rule book. I think common sense enforcement is fine, and can absolutely allow for a hop.

I thought instant replay was to get plays "right" and there are now virtually no "neighborhood" plays any longer. Capps did not throw this way at all one year ago. He was clearly instructed by the Marlins system to develop this as a deception and to increase his effective speed. If Capps goes from minors to lights out this year, I will predict many pitchers will do this and push it even further or MLB will "clarify", meaning eliminate the hop. I believe it is an unfair advantage inconsistent with spirit of the pitching rules.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's not blatantly illegal. If it was MLB would ban it. It is ambiguous. If you watch the motion of a power pitcher like Chapman you will see that his stride takes him closer to the plate than most pitchers and his back foot comes off the rubber and drags for about 8" to a foot. So it is not that much different than Capps. The difference would be if Capps clearly replanted his back foot after it cane off the rubber and pushed off again before throwing. He doesn't quite do this. It is a grey area.

I disagree. He does do this. If he dragged it, it would not be a hop. That is what MLB told him he had to do, but he did not do that...he is off the ground, it is a hop. And he hops in order to allow his body to get closer with his arm still cocked before whipping it across his body. We just disagree. I will predict right now that he will not be allowed to continue doing this by MLB. Particularly after he does it against the Yankees or Red Sox.

I thought instant replay was to get plays "right" and there are now virtually no "neighborhood" plays any longer. Capps did not throw this way at all one year ago. He was clearly instructed by the Marlins system to develop this as a deception and to increase his effective speed. If Capps goes from minors to lights out this year, I will predict many pitchers will do this and push it even further or MLB will "clarify", meaning eliminate the hop. I believe it is an unfair advantage inconsistent with spirit of the pitching rules.

The bolded isn't true. The neighborhood play is not reviewable on instant replay. Umpires allow it - and teams do not complain about it - for safety reasons.

The bolded isn't true. The neighborhood play is not reviewable on instant replay. Umpires allow it - and teams do not complain about it - for safety reasons.

You are correct. I think there are still a lot fewer of these than before replay, even though it is not reviewable. They should just change the rule. Similar to here...if it is ok to get your body closer to home plate by hopping, then just change the rules to allow a noncontinuous motion to home plate.

Archived