De Aza to Red Sox (RHP Joe Gunkel)

bpilktree

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since I know a lot of you want to know what the O's are getting in return. I reached out to a good friend who has seen Gunkel on a daily basis. Here is the report.

Gunkel will be good. He's still young with a plus FB and decent secondary - still developing. Doesn't get huge numbers but comes right after hitters. Currently a starter but is ultimately a reliever. Big guy with big arm. If he can hone in on his command he'll move quickly. Still filling out. Currently about 6'6 and lean.

Since I know a lot of you want to know what the O's are getting in return. I reached out to a good friend who has seen Gunkel on a daily basis. Here is the report.

Gunkel will be good. He's still young with a plus FB and decent secondary - still developing. Doesn't get huge numbers but comes right after hitters. Currently a starter but is ultimately a reliever. Big guy with big arm. If he can hone in on his command he'll move quickly. Still filling out. Currently about 6'6 and lean.

Sounds good to me.

I hope everyone will put this in the column of the Orioles not being cheap. They surely would have sent less (if not no) money to the Sox if they hadn't acquired what appears to be at least a reasonable minor league player.

Lol. We are talking about $3 million dollars. LOL. What is the major league minimum now? Yeah, look at us flaunt the money! Woohoo!

Invalidates all cheap criticisms? Is this for real?

I am not saying we are super cheap but to say this minor move proves or disapproves anything is lunacy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol. We are talking about $3 million dollars. LOL. What is the major league minimum now? Yeah, look at us flaunt the money! Woohoo!

Invalidates all cheap criticisms? Is this for real?

I am not saying we are super cheap but to say this minor move proves or disapproves anything is lunacy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who said anything about invalidating. All I am saying is, that if it was just about dumping De Aza's contract, they would have gotten less back. That seems inargauable.

From Hershey High School. Just up the road from me.

Posted by: Jason Bristol HAGERSTOWN, Maryland -- It's a long ride from Hershey to Boston, but one minor league pitcher is determined to get there. Right-hander Joe Gunkel, a graduate of Hershey High School, is quickly becoming one of the Boston Red Sox better prospects, despite lasting until the 18th round of the 2013 draft. Gunkel is 2-0 for the Greenville Drive, Boston's South Atlantic League farm team. "It's just a different feel," said Gunkel, who won a national title at West Chester University. "It's a lot more low key than college was. It's more of a job now." Gunkel was recently selected for the South Atlantic League All-Star game. Since signing as a pro, he's average more than a strikeout per inning and opposing batters are hitting under .200 against him." "From the instructional league to now, he's been lights out," said Greenville pitching coach Paul Abbott, a former major leaguer. "Sometimes (pitchers like Joe) just step it up a notch; and they actually have a little bit more than what they were showing us (in college)." Gunkel has yet to lose a decision as a professional pitcher. Pitching in the minors is far from his ultimate dream, though. "It's been a lot of fun," he said. "It's not really a dream yet. The dream is to play with the big league club and travel all over the country; but you know this is a small taste -- and it's only going to get different from here."

Read More at: http://www.local21news.com/sports/features/local-sports/stories/hersheys-gunkel-impressing-climbing-boston-ladder-1166.shtml

And a P-A boy to boot! I'm twirling around like a little schoolgirl!

Good insight, sincere thanks.

Fangraphs

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/qa-joe-gunkel-red-sox-pitching-prospect/

Joe Gunkel is probably the top under-the-radar prospect in the Red Sox system. Baseball America indirectly said as much when they including him in the bonus supplement of this year’s Prospect Handbook. Their write-up of the 22-year-old right-hander suggested he “may be the first player to the majors from Boston’s 2013 draft.”

I'm honestly surprised we got a reasonably decent prospect for Se Aza.

I don't get it... I thought the Red Sox were crowded in the OF. And as much as they would like to, they can't move Hanley's awful defense out of the OF and DH him because they have Ortiz.

I'm honestly surprised we got a reasonably decent prospect for Se Aza.

I don't get it... I thought the Red Sox were crowded in the OF. And as much as they would like to, they can't move Hanley's awful defense out of the OF and DH him because they have Ortiz.

They are not that crowded in the OF. A lot have failed, are injured or just aren't that good.

Archived