Yanks-Rays brawl

blueberryale77

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The more I think about this the more ticked I am getting.

Tell me if I am being unfair in summing this up...

The Yanks, upset with what they consider an aggressive, but clearly CLEAN within the rules of baseball play, that is backed up by basically everyone in baseball including hotheds like Lou Piniella, retaliate with two dirty plays that no one would consider within the rules of baseball... a beanball and then a spikes up slide.

I will give them a pass on the beanball, although hard to say A=B in my mind. But the spikes up slide is just pure dirty.

Can they suspend Duncan for intent to injure?

The more I think about this the more ticked I am getting.

Tell me if I am being unfair in summing this up...

The Yanks, upset with what they consider an aggressive, but clearly CLEAN within the rules of baseball play, that is backed up by basically everyone in baseball including hotheds like Lou Piniella, retaliate with two dirty plays that no one would consider within the rules of baseball... a beanball and then a spikes up slide.

I will give them a pass on the beanball, although hard to say A=B in my mind. But the spikes up slide is just pure dirty.

Can they suspend Duncan for intent to injure?

If he doesn't get a 5 day suspension I would be extremely shocked. Joe better not put him in the lineup against the Rays or Shelly will get one in the ear.

Shelly Duncan is a boob. This whole thing was premeditated.

"What it does is it opens another chapter of intensity in the spring training ballgames," Duncan said, referring to the home-plate collision. "They showed what is acceptable to them and how they're going to play the game, so we're going to go out there to match their intensity -- or even exceed it."

"There's going to be no malicious evil intent in terms of carryover, but it just adds a different type of fire to your gut when you play that team because you understand how they're playing the game and what their mind-set is," Duncan said Sunday.

He should get no less than 10 games for that. And Jonny Gomes (aka:Kevin Federline's twin brother) should get 5.

They couldn't have just had the first reliever throw the beanball if they didn't want Pettitte to?

I think the idea was to throw it in the first inning and get the feud over with. Looks like Duncan had other ideas.

Yankees = Class. Just remember that.

The Yankee$...and their fans...make sure to remind us at every turn just how classy they truly are...

I wonder if Duncan is now going by the nickname "Spikes"?

BTW, he appeared to be aiming for Akinora's twig and berries, if anyone cares.

While normally Id agree here, I saw the play on youtube and that guy full out tackled the catcher and then appears to be gloating about it afterwards. In either case if the catcher is going to block the plate it's the runners job to score, but as much as I hate defending A yankee in this case it did look overly aggressive. It's almost as if he knew he had no chance of touching the plate so he as going to just take the catcher out hoping the ball might pop loose. But I still say you block the plate then prepare to get knocked around. I remember last year Bako taking one in the chin blocking the plate, it was pretty rough but it's the base runners job to score, just as it's the catchers job to block the plate. Yes it's spring training, but you can't have it both ways. It's all or nothing.

Video of collision at plate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5mrg_AUgE8

Now today I haven't seen video but it sounds like between the quotes and what happened the Yankees were going for blood today. At least Duncan was.

Video of collision at plate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5mrg_AUgE8

Now today I haven't seen video but it sounds like between the quotes and what happened the Yankees were going for blood today. At least Duncan was.

The Yankees played that just as hard as the runner. They relayed the ball like it was the last game of the WS and both the catcher and the runner are trying to make their respective teams; so what do think is going to happen? I say there was no need for the throw.

Here's the video of the brawl, although it doesn't look like much of a brawl to me. Just a bunch of guys standing around yelling at each other.

Archived