Yanks-Rays brawl

blueberryale77

Just heard about it on WFAN. Shelley Duncan went into second base spikes up even though he was out by a mile and Johnny Gomes charged in from right field to tackle him. You've gotta figure it's payback for Francisco Cervelli's wrist getting broken and the way the Rays responded afterward. I'm looking for video or a link.

Here's a story from Newsday. Hopefully somebody will put video on Youtube eventually.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally, the Yankees are starting to act like the Yankees. With all of this, "We don't play hard in spring training," and "Billy Crystal deserves a starting spot in the lineup," crap, I thought I was in a different universe.

It just makes it so much better when the O's beat them this year.

Just put the link in here, and then go delete the other one. Don't need mods for that...

The link is already here if you click on the word "Newsday" in my original post. Unfortunately people had responded to TGO's thread so I don't know if you can delete your post if it started a thread and someone has responded. Plus, he mentioned a little additional info that I didn't.

Another wrinkle:

On Sunday, Duncan had dropped a hint that the Yankees might match the Rays' intensity on the basepaths.

"What it does is it opens another chapter of intensity in the spring training ballgames," Duncan said, referring to the home-plate collision. "They showed what is acceptable to them and how they're going to play the game, so we're going to go out there to match their intensity -- or even exceed it."

"There's going to be no malicious evil intent in terms of carryover, but it just adds a different type of fire to your gut when you play that team because you understand how they're playing the game and what their mind-set is," Duncan said Sunday.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2008/news/story?id=3289751

I have yet to see video of this, but if it's what it sounds like, Duncan was very unprofessional. The collision at home plate was at least a close play, and the catcher was blocking the plate waiting for the ball. Here it sounds like Duncan was out by a mile.

Yankees = Class. Just remember that.

This sort of reminds me of last year when they were crying about Roberts trying to steal in a 5 run game.

The Yanks have to learn that as long as they are on the field, play baseball. If I was a spring training season ticket holder I would demand 4/9 of my ticket price back, since the manager has admitted the team is only trying for the first few innings.

And one more question for Yanks fans about the original incident: If they weren't really trying at that point, why was their catcher blocking the plate in the first place? Truth is it was two kids playing hard trying to make an impression, and an unfortunate part of the game thing happened. And now they are having a temper tantrum.

Archived