Andrew Miller DL'd with Forearm Strain

weams

I think they could have resigned Miller and still kept Britton as closer. I would have coined "high leverage reliever" and named Miller that guy. Then in the 7th or 8th inning, he can be used in those high leverage situations where you need a guy with closer type stuff to come in and get out of a jam.

With the money he would be making, I doubt he'd care if he was the closer or not. Despite his arm woes, I still think he was the guy we should have been aggressive in resigning.

Very interesting. I did not think of that as a possibility. I assumed that they would just have to move Britton because of the exorbitant amount that we would be spending on late bullpen over the four years of Miller and Three of Britton. I assumed we would be getting close to 17% of payroll with just those two players.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think they could have resigned Miller and still kept Britton as closer. I would have coined "high leverage reliever" and named Miller that guy. Then in the 7th or 8th inning, he can be used in those high leverage situations where you need a guy with closer type stuff to come in and get out of a jam.

With the money he would be making, I doubt he'd care if he was the closer or not. Despite his arm woes, I still think he was the guy we should have been aggressive in resigning.

It's hard to know how much more he would have cost than the 4/36 the Yankees are paying him. He took less than the Astros offered (4/40) to play for the Yankees because he thought it was his best chance to get back to the playoffs and because he lives in Tampa, where they have spring training. Sarasota is only an hour away, but it still seems likely to me that the O's would have needed to pay something more.

It's hard to know how much more he would have cost than the 4/36 the Yankees are paying him. He took less than the Astros offered (4/40) to play for the Yankees because he thought it was his best chance to get back to the playoffs and because he lives in Tampa, where they have spring training. Sarasota is only an hour away, but it still seems likely to me that the O's would have needed to pay something more.

Obviously New York has many extraordinary endorsement opportunities.

Yep :agree:

4 years for RP is crazy. Even Mo never got more than 3. If we had dumped Matusz, and Hunter, we would be paying most of the 9M Miller would cost, assuming he wouldn't demand more to not close. But if he struggles, as most RP will do eventually, and you want to move him, who wants a 9M set up guy?

Very interesting. I did not think of that as a possibility. I assumed that they would just have to move Britton because of the exorbitant amount that we would be spending on late bullpen over the four years of Miller and Three of Britton. I assumed we would be getting close to 17% of payroll with just those two players.

What is a better combo?

Tommy Hunter $4.65 Million

Alejandro DeAza $5 million

Matusz $3.2

12.85 Million

Roe $507,500K

Reimold $1 million

Miller $9 million

10.55 million

I would have made up that extra money I didn't want to spend on Miller by getting cheaper options than Hunter, Matusz and DeAza.

What is a better combo?

Tommy Hunter $4.65 Million

Alejandro DeAza $5 million

Matusz $3.2

12.85 Million

Roe $507,500K

Reimold $1 million

Miller $9 million

10.55 million

I would have made up that extra money I didn't want to spend on Miller by getting cheaper options than Hunter, Matusz and DeAza.

That's ok but you're still tied up for another 30 mil for 3 years after that while the other players are gone.

Unlikely unless some of your more apocalyptic MASN scenarios come to pass. Or Congress acts on a far-reaching bill that allows people to pay 25 cents per cable channel that they want, and no more.

They might be wise to plan ahead for a great reduction in resources. We are past peak cable and the days of of RSNs being guaranteed revenues from forced cable subscriptions will end. The only question is how quickly.

That's ok but you're still tied up for another 30 mil for 3 years after that while the other players are gone.

Yep, certainly understand the risk, but if I'm the Orioles, I think this is the year I need to go for it with all the players hitting free agency this offseason. I saw what we and KC did with three dominant relievers and if I have to take on some risk I'm fine with that. Besides, Britton will still be decent priced for a few more years.

Not everyone values those top end relievers and I realize they are volatile, but at the end of the day, I would have been aggressive early on and made him a priority signing. Now perhaps this injury will prove to be season ending TJ eventually and the O's will look smart, but I'm on record as saying I would have gone after Miller hard and let and Markakis walk.

Yep, certainly understand the risk, but if I'm the Orioles, I think this is the year I need to go for it with all the players hitting free agency this offseason. I saw what we and KC did with three dominant relievers and if I have to take on some risk I'm fine with that. Besides, Britton will still be decent priced for a few more years.

Not everyone values those top end relievers and I realize they are volatile, but at the end of the day, I would have been aggressive early on and made him a priority signing. Now perhaps this injury will prove to be season ending TJ eventually and the O's will look smart, but I'm on record as saying I would have gone after Miller hard and let and Markakis walk.

Yeah, he was pretty awesome, no doubt about that. BP's can be a force now. I certainly wouldn't have objected if they signed him, but I understood why we didn't.

Yeah, he was pretty awesome, no doubt about that. BP's can be a force now. I certainly wouldn't have objected if they signed him, but I understood why we didn't.

If he had a track record of that type of dominance and usage I could have been persuaded.

Man he is fun to watch.

If he had a track record of that type of dominance and usage I could have been persuaded.

Man he is fun to watch.

Even BP guys with track records can be hit and miss. He was probably o e of the more amazing RP's i've ever seen.

Archived