Andy MacPhail Going to Phix the Phillies (Team President After the Season)

weams

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are gonna have to work on reloading and to a degree rebuilding over the next few years. Duquette basically has rode out McPhail's core to Arbitration, and added complimentary pieces. A lot of players from that core will be gone next year, and I am not sure Duquette can replace them all as well as McPhail would.

I am too old to watch him percolate again!! I thought BS wasn't his favorite candidate for manager.

Nope, he sure wasn't.

Two words: Garrett Atkins.

AM is a trade wizard but the lack of depth and our free agent signings were beyond terrible.

He's the "blow it up" guy and nothing more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope, he sure wasn't.

Two words: Garrett Atkins.

AM is a trade wizard but the lack of depth and our free agent signings were beyond terrible.

He's the "blow it up" guy and nothing more.

Which is exactly what the phillies need right now. Not the Os, though.

Been a long time since we had a good reason to pull out all the MacPhail clich?s!

One time he tried to explain that Peter Angelos WANTED to spend all his money, as was proven back in the 90s, and Andy would not left him.

Well, its obvious that Angelos wants to spend all the money but he'll only hire GMs who refuse to do it!

Do NOT trade with the Phillies under ANY circumstances!

It would be frustrating to start talking a trade for this year's deadline then finally get it done in 2019.

Interested to see how he approaches the Latin market now.

This is the only Latin market Andy is approaching: filename-img-5978-jpg.jpg

"If you want to put $5 million down on batting practice' date=' have at it. Now, in three years, if I'm wrong and I see that's where you should be, then we'll be there. But I am going to need to see proof that I am wrong, that's all."[/quote']

Translation: All of those millions of players from other places that aren't America are too risky for my blood. We'll continue plugging away, building a franchise only via the draft and two trades a year. Oh, and I'm much more comfortable now that you can't spend $millions on overslots, because those were also too risky.

Yes, MacPhail did a lot of good things, and he was certainly better than his predecessors going back to the late 90s. There may even be a few lessons in there for Duquette. But if you give me the choice between Duquette and MacPhail I'll take Duquette every single time.

Andy would be a good choice for the Phillies, who need a decisive sell-off. I can't believe they've waited this long to get someone in there. Still, if you look at the Phillies' roster, their days of huge payroll commitments are almost over. The only players who are locked in for next year are Hamels (through 2018 with an option for 2019), Howard (through 2016 with an option for 2017), and Ruiz (through 2016 with an option for 2017). Lee ($25 mm), Utley ($15 mm), Papelbon ($13 mm) and a few lesser contracts are coming off the books this winter. No reason the Phils couldn't make a fairly quick turn around.

Andy would be a good choice for the Phillies, who need a decisive sell-off. I can't believe they've waited this long to get someone in there. Still, if you look at the Phillies' roster, their days of huge payroll commitments are almost over. The only players who are locked in for next year are Hamels (through 2018 with an option for 2019), Howard (through 2016 with an option for 2017), and Ruiz (through 2016 with an option for 2017). Lee ($25 mm), Utley ($15 mm), Papelbon ($13 mm) and a few lesser contracts are coming off the books this winter. No reason the Phils couldn't make a fairly quick turn around.

Papelbon has a vesting option that is vesting I think.

Archived