Andy MacPhail Going to Phix the Phillies (Team President After the Season)

weams

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, it will have to percolate, but yes, let it begin.:wedge:

Percolating begins after the season. Andy wants no part of this one.

Longtime MLB executive Andy MacPhail will take over for Pat Gillick as the Philadelphia Phillies' president after this season, the team announced Monday.

MacPhail, 62, will serve as a special assistant to Gillick for the rest of this season until he takes over the president's role. Gillick, 77, helped choose MacPhail as his successor.

"He's an information-gatherer and that's very important because any information is critical to making the right decisions," Gillick said of MacPhail.

source - ESPN

I can't help but root for the guy. He's a big reason we're winning now.

This.

I eagerly await the reveal of the first team he fleeces (ie his first trade partner). Just hope it's not the O's.

You do have to wonder, he may end up being a victim of his own trade success. Do you want to be the GM that picks up the phone with MacPhail on the other line? I would be quaking in my boots.

"If we did not do this, it would be front office malpractice."

Buck Quoting Andy

What was signing Garret Atkins, if not front office malpractice? Andy made some brilliant trades while he was with the Orioles that set the team up for its current run of success, but he also made plenty of mistakes. I think he left at the right time. I give him credit for the good moves he made while he was here, but I don't think the could have finished the job the way Duquette did.

IIRC MacPhail did nothing for the last half of 2007 except watch and take notes so it comes as no surprise that he's in roughly the same mode now that he's got the Phillies job. Percolaters gotta percolate. Are they worse than the Orioles were, I wonder? I've been one of the more anti-MacPhail posters here since the 2009-2010 off season. It will be interesting to see how fast he moves this time. I'm also happy for him - great baseball family - but I'm not holding my breath.

• 3 weeks later...
From the moment the Phillies hired Andy MacPhail as their president-in-waiting, a theory erupted in front offices across North America. Call it the wait-'til-next-year theory.

For one thing, MacPhail has a reputation as one of baseball's most patient, meticulous thinkers. For another, he won't even take charge, officially, as team president until after the season. And, finally, back in 2007, as president of the Orioles, he made the call NOT to trade then-ace Erik Bedard at the deadline, because he preferred to market Bedard the following winter.

So the Orioles did in fact wait -- until the following February -- to deal Bedard to Seattle, in one of the great move-an-ace deals of recent times. Adam Jones and Chris Tillman were the headliners atop a franchise-altering five-man package the Orioles got back for Bedard. And other clubs worry that if that's the standard MacPhail expects the Phillies to meet in a Hamels trade, he'll be waiting for the rest of his life to duplicate it.

But longtime friends of MacPhail say he recognizes these are two different players and two different sets of circumstances. And even Amaro says MacPhail understands that, with the value teams place on young players these days, "the landscape has changed a little bit."

Nevertheless, there's still this reality hanging in the air: "I think pulling off deals of that magnitude," said one AL exec, "are difficult to do during front-office transitions."

With Amaro on the endangered-GM list, MacPhail waiting to take charge and legendary former GM Pat Gillick serving as the temporary team president, the Phillies might have the most complicated management structure in baseball. So who actually makes this trade?

Amaro makes the phone calls. Gillick makes the ultimate decision. But it's MacPhail who has to live with the consequences. So while MacPhail, from all accounts, has no intention of meddling in names or details, his voice will be heard on this, loud and clear.

That seems, from the outside, to create more impetus for the Phillies NOT to deal Hamels now than to move him before the deadline. But MacPhail's former vice president of baseball operations in Baltimore, Jim Duquette, isn't so sure of that.

"I think the difference between this situation and ours is that Pat's there," said Duquette, who worked under MacPhail alongside GM Mike Flanagan. "Let's face it. If Flanny or I went to Andy and said, 'This would be a good deal,' I don't know if Andy would have signed off on it. But if Pat Gillick, Hall of Fame GM, goes in and says, 'This is the best we can do and it's something we SHOULD do,' that carries a lot more weight."

What happens, though, if Gillick and MacPhail disagree? Who has the final say? That's a question no one can answer -- yet. But it's a source of great fascination to other clubs.

"Even if Andy says no and Pat wants to do it, I don't think Pat would back down," said one executive who has dealt with both. "No way Pat is going to answer to Andy on this one."

source - Jayson Stark

• 1 month later...

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/13517750/philadelphia-phillies-future-looks-bright-lead-them

"That organization is a gold mine," said one competing executive. "Look at the ballpark. Look at the spring training facility. Look at the television deal. This is a goose that's going to lay a golden egg. No wonder Andy MacPhail came out of retirement."

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2015%2F0826%2Fgettyimages%2D478989712_r4236_1296x729_16%2D9.jpg&w=570

• 4 weeks later...

He found his Trembley.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Phillies Extend Manager Pete*Mackanin <a href="https://t.co/y8AQJNgwzG">https://t.co/y8AQJNgwzG</a></p>— MLB Trade Rumors (@mlbtraderumors) <a href="

">September 22, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Archived