Would you sign Manny for 11/$231 mm?

Frobby

Would you sign Manny for 11/$231 mm?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Would you sign Manny for 11/$231 mm?

• Yes, sign him up today!
    • I'd do it, but only if Manny stays healthy the rest of 2015
    • No, too rich/risky for my blood

This poll is closed to new votes

Bryce Harper will set the market in 2018. If Bryce was a FA in 2020 for example then I could see you're point. But he's not. He'll shatter the contract records in 2018 at which Machado depending on how good he is relative to Harper by that point will fall in line contract wise.
I wonder about that 2018 FA. Will so many big ticket superstars cancel one another out. Maybe some team would prefer 5 years of Donaldson at 150 M to 10 of Manny at 400 M?

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hard to imagine teams preferring a 33 year old player to a 26 year old player.
I don't know 150 M to a MVP player as opposed to 400 M. I can imagine it, and I think Donaldson would probably be signed for less. Any way there are so many other options that year. SP and position players. "Quick, off the top of your head, list the 10 players in baseball around whom you would most like to build a baseball franchise. Of the names that sprung to mind, surely some of these were included: Bryce Harper, Josh Donaldson, Andrew McCutchen, David Price, Jose Fernandez, Manny Machado, Jason Heyward, Dallas Keuchel, Clayton Kershaw and Matt Harvey." https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2015/12/12/the-2018-mlb-free-agent-class-is-going-to-be-bonkers/

I don't know 150 M to a MVP player as opposed to 400 M. I can imagine it, and I think Donaldson would probably be signed for less. Any way there are so many other options that year. SP and position players. "Quick, off the top of your head, list the 10 players in baseball around whom you would most like to build a baseball franchise. Of the names that sprung to mind, surely some of these were included: Bryce Harper, Josh Donaldson, Andrew McCutchen, David Price, Jose Fernandez, Manny Machado, Jason Heyward, Dallas Keuchel, Clayton Kershaw and Matt Harvey." https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2015/12/12/the-2018-mlb-free-agent-class-is-going-to-be-bonkers/

Josh Donaldson was the 2015 MVP at age 29.

The point is rather obvious. Youth in baseball is there one day and gone the next. Its fleeting and brief.

If you don't think JD will get a good contract in 2018 I don't know what to tell you. Any way you don't seem to understand my point. With so many star options available the market in general may not be as high . If JD is a bargain base went item .

Bryce Harper will set the market in 2018. If Bryce was a FA in 2020 for example then I could see you're point. But he's not. He'll shatter the contract records in 2018 at which Machado depending on how good he is relative to Harper by that point will fall in line contract wise.

Just because some media people are speculating that Harper will get $400-500 mm doesn't make it so. WAR would say that he's worth it, but the market doesn't actually act in proportion to WAR. If it did, Trout wouldn't be making in the mid-30's in the FA seasons of his recent contract, he'd be making $60 mm/yr. Maybe Boras pushes him to 10/$400 mm, but I'll need to see it happen, and I'd be surprised if he gets materially more than that.

If you don't think JD will get a good contract in 2018 I don't know what to tell you. Any way you don't seem to understand my point. With so many star options available the market in general may not be as high . If JD is a bargain base went item .

Josh Donaldson will be 33 when he hits free agency. By the 3rd year he's already 35 and heavily in decline.

• 4 weeks later...

I wish every thread about Manny didn't have to turn into a discussion of his contractual status. We have other threads that are for that purpose. What Manny is doing on the field needs to be appreciated and enjoyed.

I wish every thread about Manny didn't have to turn into a discussion of his contractual status. We have other threads that are for that purpose. What Manny is doing on the field needs to be appreciated and enjoyed.

Appreciated and enjoyed by the Yankees or Red Sox in three years! ;)

This is a contractual thread. Nobody turned it into anything.

I know this thread was made last year but $231 million won't even come close to re-signing Machado. You'll have to add $100 million to that offer along with an opt-out clause after five years to get Machado to re-sign long-term here.

Archived