Would you sign Manny for 11/$231 mm?

Frobby

Would you sign Manny for 11/$231 mm?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Would you sign Manny for 11/$231 mm?

• Yes, sign him up today!
    • I'd do it, but only if Manny stays healthy the rest of 2015
    • No, too rich/risky for my blood

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2019 is still far off so let's live in the moment' date=' but if I'm Manny, I'd need more than Stanton to extend. The day Peter Angelos offers a player $300 million plus is the day I'm elected president.[/quote']

But is 2019 the date you're waiting for? Manny needs to be extended or traded. And if you're trading him, best to do it when there is 2 years left on his K to get a huge return. So a decision needs to be made sooner rather than later.

But is 2019 the date you're waiting for? Manny needs to be extended or traded. And if you're trading him' date=' best to do it when there is 2 years left on his K to get a huge return. So a decision needs to be made sooner rather than later.[/quote']

I understand the dilemma faced by the Front Office. That said, neither option is realistic.

If I was betting, I'd bet on Manny playing out his arb years in an O's uniform and then going to free agency.

Same problem the Nats have with Harper. They want to win now, there is zero chance they trade away their best player, and they are seemingly not willing to pony up $350 - $400 million extension now. You cannot trade away your best player while trying to win now. Easier to let the guy walk for a draft pick.

I understand the dilemma faced by the Front Office. That said' date=' neither option is realistic.

If I was betting, I'd bet on Manny playing out his arb years in an O's uniform and then going to free agency.

Same problem the Nats have with Harper. They want to win now, there is zero chance they trade away their best player, and they are seemingly not willing to pony up $350 - $400 million extension now. You cannot trade away your best player while trying to win now. Easier to let the guy walk for a draft pick.[/quote']

Sometimes difficult (unpopular) choices have to be made. If the front office can't extend Manny, they have to trade him. And as many others have said, the time to figure it out is this upcoming off-season. It would be a huge disservice to the fan base and organization to let such a valued asset just fade away to free agency and get nothing but a compensation pick in return.

Sometimes difficult (unpopular) choices have to be made. If the front office can't extend Manny, they have to trade him. And as many others have said, the time to figure it out is this upcoming off-season. It would be a huge disservice to the fan base and organization to let such a valued asset just fade away to free agency and get nothing but a compensation pick in return.

Well, except for the obvious 2 years of Manny Machado you lose by trading him...It's not unprecedented. The Mariners "let" A-Rod hit Free Agency

I understand the dilemma faced by the Front Office. That said' date=' neither option is realistic.

Same problem the Nats have with Harper. They want to win now, there is zero chance they trade away their best player, and they are seemingly not willing to pony up $350 - $400 million extension now. You cannot trade away your best player while trying to win now. Easier to let the guy walk for a draft pick.[/quote']

I think it's very rare to trade a young player performing at an MVP level and get equal or better value back. It's rare enough to trade a young superstar at all. I know a fair amount of baseball history and it's difficult to come up with young superstars who were traded. Ruth was sold, and that deal was spectacularly poor for Boston. Rickey was traded at 26 for five players none of whom ever had a 2-win season for the A's, while he was an annual MVP candidate. Maybe I'm missing some great examples, but I think it's quite unlikely trading Manny works out for the Orioles. He'll be dealt for 3, 4, 5 guys who each might one day hope to be 1/2 as valuable as Manny if everything works out.

But this is a separate argument. If you want to say the organization is filled with idiots that won't do what should be done, and therefore, all of this is a pointless discussion, that's fine. But the point of this discussion is what SHOULD be done, not what Peter is going to do.

By then I wouldn't be terribly surprised if compensation picks no longer exist, or are less valuable or more rare.

I think it's very rare to trade a young player performing at an MVP level and get equal or better value back. It's rare enough to trade a young superstar at all. I know a fair amount of baseball history and it's difficult to come up with young superstars who were traded. Ruth was sold, and that deal was spectacularly poor for Boston. Rickey was traded at 26 for five players none of whom ever had a 2-win season for the A's, while he was an annual MVP candidate. Maybe I'm missing some great examples, but I think it's quite unlikely trading Manny works out for the Orioles. He'll be dealt for 3, 4, 5 guys who each might one day hope to be 1/2 as valuable as Manny if everything works out.

It's hard to find a fit for a trade that would benefit both teams. I can't think of a team that would be a good fit for a Machado trade.Either they don't have the pieces or Manny without the pieces isn't a playoff team.

It's hard to find a fit for a trade that would benefit both teams. I can't think of a team that would be a good fit for a Machado trade.Either they don't have the pieces or Manny without the pieces isn't a playoff team.

You must be higher on Justin Turner than I am.

Archived