Would you sign Manny for 11/$231 mm?

Frobby

Would you sign Manny for 11/$231 mm?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Would you sign Manny for 11/$231 mm?

• Yes, sign him up today!
    • I'd do it, but only if Manny stays healthy the rest of 2015
    • No, too rich/risky for my blood

This poll is closed to new votes

My thoughts from another thread:

I think players of Manny's caliber are going to make a lot more than $20 mm in their FA years. Let's look at some recent deals:

Trout - Signed just before his arb years started. Earning $6/$16/$20 mm in his Arb years, then $34 mm/yr for 3 years.

Stanton - Signed after earning $6.5 mm as an Arb 1. Earns $6.5/9 mm in his Arb years, then averages over $27 mm for 11 years (and has an opt out in 2020).

Ellsbury - Signed as a free agent for $21 mm/yr for 7 years.

Now, Manny probably won't earn as high an AAV as Trout, but he will almost certainly exceed Ellsbury. He'll have just finished his age 25 season when he hits FA, and that's rare. I'd say getting him for $25 mm/yr in his FA years would be a bargain. I'd gladly pay him $6/10/15 for the next three and then 8/$200 mm, for a total of 11/$231 including the Arb years.

What say you -- would you pull the trigger?

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I clicked I could only see "would you sign Manny for" and I knew right away I would say yes.

11/231 is very risky, but everything about him screams future Hall of Famer. We may even look back on that deal in 5-8 years and laugh at the bargain we got.

When I clicked I could only see "would you sign Manny for" and I knew right away I would say yes.

11/231 is very risky, but everything about him screams future Hall of Famer. We may even look back on that deal in 5-8 years and laugh at the bargain we got.

Yes. Anytime you are talking about more money than thousands of people earn in a lifetime it is never easy. Manny has shown what he is capable of, and the days of low ball offers for legit talent is over. It will take this to get something done.

Yes. Anytime you are talking about more money than thousands of people earn in a lifetime it is never easy. Manny has shown what he is capable of, and the days of low ball offers for legit talent is over. It will take this to get something done.

Most of these long term contracts don't seem to work out. So, no.

Would I pay Manny ARod money?

I'll tell you at the end of the season. He hasn't even had one healthy season in the majors yet.

He missed six games in 2013. But it's fair to wait until after the season. That's why I put that option in the poll. As to it being "ARod money," there has been a lot of salary inflation since ARod signed his deal.

I'm on the fence about it. That is a lot of money for a very long time and if the Orioles actually considered paying it, which they wont, it would hamstring the team moving forward because they historically are very slow to adjust to inflating contracts.

He missed six games in 2013. But it's fair to wait until after the season. That's why I put that option in the poll. As to it being "ARod money," there has been a lot of salary inflation since ARod signed his deal.

To be fair, he missed the final six games of the 2013 season, and that injury kept him out for a good portion of the following season, too. So that he only missed six games was by happenstance, as he would have missed 161 games if he sustained the same injury on opening day.

I think that's a fair distinction, because that was a pretty substantial injury. Of course, we all hope it's all behind him now that he has two new knees, but it will probably be in everyone's mind when it comes time for him to negotiate a contract with any team.

I don't want to commit to that many years. If I thought we could stay in contention for most of that time maybe, but there may well come a time when we don't want that much money tied up in one player no matter how productive he is.

Archived