Would you sign Manny for 11/$231 mm?

Frobby

Would you sign Manny for 11/$231 mm?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Would you sign Manny for 11/$231 mm?

• Yes, sign him up today!
    • I'd do it, but only if Manny stays healthy the rest of 2015
    • No, too rich/risky for my blood

This poll is closed to new votes

I think you underestimate the exponential growth of FA contracts. If Manny had been a FA this season he would have gotten more than Price IMO. In three years that could well be close to 40 M AAV.

He knows that one of he or Harper will be the highest-paid player in baseball history. That's probably the main obstacle to an extension. The O's have to go north of ARod or whomever is the highest up to now. When ARod was signing his deals the average payroll was under $100M and it's now what, $120 or more?

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I haven't missed anything. I also haven't missed two season ending injuries in the last 3 years. This is a complicated equation.

Not complicated, he had a condition that he was born with that affected both knees and caused both injuries, but now that they are surgery repaired, he should be just fine.

You act like either knee could go at any moment, and I do not believe this is the case.

I think that money will be going down in the future. The reason MASN makes so much money is that every cable/satellite subscriber in the market is paying them over 3 dollars a month whether they watch MASN or not (And most of them don't) I believe the future is people buying the channels they want. And if that happens MASN and the other sports networks are going to be hurting. First off people would only subscribe to MASN during the baseball season. Second when the price is 40 dollars a month how many people would subscribe? I am guessing not too many. So there is no way they could keep revenue up.

I totally agree with this. I think with streaming tv options we are very close to going to al la carte pricing and then we are going to see how much people are willing to pay for their sports channels. My understanding is ESPN costs every subscriber $12. I know I wouldn't pay $12 a month for it by itself. And I'm a sports fan. A lot of cable subscribers aren't so they won't pay, so ESPN will attempt to charge more than $12 per month and will get even less people to subscribe. Then these networks won't be able to bid huge money on sports rights.

Not complicated, he had a condition that he was born with that affected both knees and caused both injuries, but now that they are surgery repaired, he should be just fine.

You act like either knee could go at any moment, and I do not believe this is the case.

Well to be fair he's made it one year without blowing out his knee. Granted he played in every game last year, but you still have to be a little weary about his knees. Would like to see him go 2-3 years without any knee issues before we declare his knees as fully recovered and not prone to injury.

So. 8, 12, 35, 35, 35 Optout, 35, 35, 35, 35, 35

Right?

Yes. I despise the contracts that these players get to play a game but players like Manny, Harper, Trout, and Arenado are special players. When he leaves it will be impossible to replace him unless they get really fortunate in the draft.

Ok. You pass on the Manny extension. What trade do you have in mind?

Why do you continually state things as fact, that aren't?

If you laid 30 per in front of Manny and his agent, I bet you'd get a pretty good conversation going.

Archived