vs. RANGERS, 7/01

OFFNY

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Eddie was the clutchiest! Still 2nd or 3rd on the ALL time list for Grannys. Lou Gehrig, Eddie, I think someone just passed Eddie,

From bbref:

Alex Rodriguez 24

Lou Gehrig 23

Manny Ramirez 21

Eddie Murray 19

Yes. I think he was the all time leader for the time period the stat was officially counted.

It was kind of a bogus stat (which is probably why it was dropped). Don't recall the exact specifics, but it was something like "Gets the RBI that gives your team the lead, which it never relinquishes, after the 6th inning..." or something like that... You could get the RBI that gave your team a 2-1 lead in a game it wins 8-6 but never actually relinquishes the lead...

It was kind of a bogus stat (which is probably why it was dropped). Don't recall the exact specifics, but it was something like "Gets the RBI that gives your team the lead, which it never relinquishes, after the 6th inning..." or something like that... You could get the RBI that gave your team a 2-1 lead in a game it wins 8-6 but never actually relinquishes the lead...

I agree it was kind of bogus but I never hated it as much as some.

At least it was always an RBI that occurred when the game was tied.

People would say that if the team won 10-8, the 9th run should always be the GWRBI. But suppose the 9th run made the score go from 8-2 to 9-2 in what appeared to be a blowout at the time? Hardly very "clutchy". If the RBI that made the score go from 1-1 to 2-1 turned out to be the GWRBI in a 10-8 game, so be it.

Archived