Trade Watch (It starts)

weams

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's all about getting to the playoffs. If that happens it's a win for the GM. You can't sell when you are two games or less from making the playoffs. This fan base is happy with meaningful games in Sept. It's about keeping the fan base hopeful and happy. That sells tickets.

Do the Dodgers actually need Morse' date=' or did they just buy another draft pick by taking on his salary?[/quote']
Wonder if Dodgers try to move Morse now. Didnt remember he was signed for next year too.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I put this on the previous page of this thread:

Looks like the Dodgers took on Morse's salary as a way to get this done. Noted on the MLBTR Article:

I put this on the previous page of this thread:

I dont even see a spot for him on the team. I assume he joins Wilson, Webb, League, Kemp, and others that are being paid more not to play for the team than TB is paying their 25 to play for them.

I dont even see a spot for him on the team. I assume he joins Wilson, Webb, League, Kemp, and others that are being paid more not to play for the team than TB is paying their 25 to play for them.

Agreed. I wonder if they have a deal lined up for him or maybe just release him?

Nice work vatech. BUT...what's the probability of the Os making the playoffs next year or the following year? What are PA's instructions/goals to/for DD? They have more information about how competitive they will be in the future and an idea of what an aging owner wants to emphasize. Maybe PA wants to maximize the probability of a WS appearance without totally crushing the future and those are DD's marching orders? Maybe they are using an economics model that suggests this strategy is better for the organization than a pure maximize probability of winning the World Series win? The postseason does have significant financial benefits for this year and other years. They are also somewhat competing for market share with the Nationals too. Lot of other variables to consider.

It's all about getting to the playoffs. If that happens it's a win for the GM. You can't sell when you are two games or less from making the playoffs. This fan base is happy with meaningful games in Sept. It's about keeping the fan base hopeful and happy. That sells tickets.

I agree with you, but to this day people still bash Angelos for going for it in 1996 rather than trading away Bonilla and Wells...even though we made the wild card that year and won the division Wire to Wire in 97.

I also realize that most of these same fans that won't be happy unless we reach the WS, also won't acknowledge how long of a shot it really is to get there.

They won't acknowledge it because they don't believe it's true. We've seen time and time again posters who talk about designing a team that doesn't just makes the playoffs but makes a deep run in the playoffs. When there isn't such a thing. It's hard to convince fans that the team did its level best when they believe that winning in the postseason is directly correlated to talent/effort/heart/guts/clutch/whatever. And, yes, I know that "they" is painting with a very broad brush.

Seems like that's exactly what they did

Exactly. Their new philosophy is to combine big market spending with small market scouting/drafting/plethora of picks

There were a few articles on this over offseason when they made the front office changes.

Exactly. Their new philosophy is to combine big market spending with small market scouting/drafting/plethora of picks

There were a few articles on this over offseason when they made the front office changes.

Considering it is explicitly forbidden to sell competitive balance picks I am curious if MLB will close this loophole.

Since it is pretty obvious that the Dodgers are in effect buying picks.

Can't blame them for taking advantage of the situation as it currently exists.

I could defend your point of view. But I'm curious on why YOU think that is not acceptable.

I think it was Danny Ainge who coined the phrase "running the treadmill of mediocrity" or at least he used it when dismantling the Celtics by trading Garnett and Pierce. Someone asked why he was dismantling a team that could make the playoffs and had an outside shot at a title. He responded by saying something to effect of, an outside chance at a title is not worth what gains could be made by drafting higher in the draft, acquiring assets via trade and freeing up capital to spend elsewhere.

Now I realize baseball and basketball are vastly different games and I am sure you could give a thousand reasons why the analogy does apply, but my point is if the Orioles hold steady and field what most believe has a small chance at even getting into the playoffs then the future rests on their ability to develop from a farm system that is largely barren and from next year's draft, players who would be conservatively 3 years from MLB which at 2018/19 is past the window for competing with Jones or Manny.

If you want to go for it, by all means they should get what they can to improve the team intelligently, but don't sit there and accept that you are happy with a small shot at the playoffs. This team didn't have what they needed to beat the Royals last year in a seven game series and the Royals are only better this year.

Archived