Duquette: "We will have more than enough offense"

Sports Guy

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's not the point. The point is the O's now have three good young starters and a bullpen full of decent pitchers. They need a defense behind them that has range and can catch the ball. Comparing Knott and DuBois to someone who helped the team finish fourth is not a good yardstick.

Yes, the most important thing you need in your outfielders is range, especially on a high-strikeout, high-groundball staff.

That's not the point. The point is the O's now have three good young starters and a bullpen full of decent pitchers. They need a defense behind them that has range and can catch the ball. Comparing Knott and DuBois to someone who helped the team finish fourth is not a good yardstick.
The point is that Perlozzo was willing to run him out there last year.

Knott, by all accounts is an average OFer. For a big guy, he moves well and has good speed. You are totally underselling him as an OFer and an athlete.

Knott should be here and he should be playing LF versus every LHer.

Where is this thread going. Are we trying to name the worst defensive OFs in baseball. OK. But where is that going. These clubs win with offense. Delgado, Wright Beltran. The O's can't win that way.

The O's are building a team around pitching that needs to be supported with defense. Then there is a solid base and the team adds some offense.

Right now the team is 80% to having a strong pitching staff with the last two pitchers in the organization in Penn and Olson.

The defense needs help. 1B and the bench are subpar. 3B base is a question mark but there is no solution because Mora has a three year contract. We have to hope to find a way to make him better.

Sure they need more offense. They are somewhere around a 800 run team. The Yanks and Boston are closer to 890. But with 3 DHs already, the team needs to add players that can help the defense and offense. And I put defense first on purpose. Look at the '83 O's team. It wasn't so different.

Where is this thread going. Are we trying to name the worst defensive OFs in baseball. OK. But where is that going.
You can blame VATech for that one. ;) He's the one who said Markakis/Gibbons/Knott would be the worst defensive OF in MLB. I called that hyperbole. He said OK, name me worse ones. The Mets and 'Stros were cited.

The point is that Perlozzo was willing to run him out there last year.

Knott, by all accounts is an average OFer. For a big guy, he moves well and has good speed. You are totally underselling him as an OFer and an athlete.

Knott should be here and he should be playing LF versus every LHer.

The argument about what Sam did last year when he had a fourth place team is not a good argument. This team needs to get better.

Maybe you are right. Maybe he is average. But Sam appears to have evaluated him as not being as good defensively as he wants. Sam will live and die with his players. If he says no, I want a better defensive player, I think that is his right. His butt is the one on the firing line.

Sam seems commited to building with pitching and defense. That is not a bad thing.

Where is this thread going. Are we trying to name the worst defensive OFs in baseball. OK. But where is that going. These clubs win with offense. Delgado, Wright Beltran. The O's can't win that way.

The O's are building a team around pitching that needs to be supported with defense. Then there is a solid base and the team adds some offense.

Right now the team is 80% to having a strong pitching staff with the last two pitchers in the organization in Penn and Olson.

The defense needs help. 1B and the bench are subpar. 3B base is a question mark but there is no solution because Mora has a three year contract. We have to hope to find a way to make him better.

Sure they need more offense. They are somewhere around a 800 run team. The Yanks and Boston are closer to 890. But with 3 DHs already, the team needs to add players that can help the defense and offense. And I put defense first on purpose. Look at the '83 O's team. It wasn't so different.

1983 Orioles ranked 2nd in AL in runs scored per game, 2nd in AL in runs allowed per game.

The 1983 Orioles scored more real, actual runs than this team might(799).

Also, the 1983 Orioles let the AL in OBP and Home runs.

Pitching and defense win games in the National League. When you are an American League team especially in the AL East, you need offense to compete. I take Knott or Dubois over Bynum any day of the week. If Patterson gets hurt, slide Markakis over to CF. The game has changed a lot since 1983.

I don't buy this notion that we should pick a worse overall ballplayer because he improves the defense, and the defense needs help. You say these teams with bad defensive OF's win with offense? Yeah, that's the point. You can win with defense, offense, and pitching. You pick the best combination. Sometimes you have to sacrifice in one area to pick the overall best team.

What he said. I don't understand how anyone can truly believe that having Bynum is better for this team than having Knott (or someone like him that can hit lefties).

The argument about what Sam did last year when he had a fourth place team is not a good argument. This team needs to get better.
I find this funny...They also couldn't hit lefties last year. They also had a poor bench last year. Knott solves these problems.
Maybe you are right. Maybe he is average. But Sam appears to have evaluated him as not being as good defensively as he wants. Sam will live and die with his players. If he says no, I want a better defensive player, I think that is his right. His butt is the one on the firing line.

Sammy is wrong about his players, i think that wil turn out to be fairly certain. Show me a scouting report that states Bynum is a very good OFer. By Dave's accounts, he had several lapses last year and showed poor hustle. He is a converted IFer who probably has decent range in the OF but the difference in offense and what Knott brings to the table agaisnt lefites more than makes this up.

Sam seems commited to building with pitching and defense. That is not a bad thing.

It is a bad thing when his idea of good defense(Bynum and Bako) isn't that good to begin with and then, on top of that, can't hit worth a damn. So, sammy is wrong.

I am all for bettering the defense as well. Mora should be in LF and Ensberg or Beltre and Kotchman should be on the corners but that didn't happen. They chose to go another way.

Each player should be evaluated on his own. What OF gives the O's a better chance to win. Gibbons, Bynum, Markakis, or Knott, Markakis, Gibbons? I'll throw my money in on the second one.

That is one ugly comparison.

We start with Payton, Patterson and Markakis. Then we add fourth outfielder that can play defense and hit. That is not Bynum who can't hit or Gibbons or Knott who are not good defensive players. The O's need another good defensive OF that can hit.

That is one ugly comparison.

We start with Payton, Patterson and Markakis. Then we add fourth outfielder that can play defense and hit. That is not Bynum who can't hit or Gibbons or Knott who are not good defensive players. The O's need another good defensive OF that can hit.

Oh, so this is all about your obsession with Spilborghs who is not as good as Knott.

BTW, you wouldn't be mentioning this guy if he didn't hit well in ST...So, you are puttign way too much on a few meaningless abs.

Archived