O's discussing blockbuster with the Padres for Upton?

SamsHorn

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What am I missing with Upton? He doesn't have great power numbers this year and hardly seems like he is worth the price to acquire. I feel like the Padres are trying to get as much as they traded for him just because...

I'd like to get him, but I agree with you. He's definitely not a guy you "overpay" for at this point.

I'd like to get him, but I agree with you. He's definitely not a guy you "overpay" for at this point.

He has been on my fantasy team all year. I mean, 15 HR's, 15 SB's and hitting .250. Given that Buck isn't a "steals" guy, I just don't see their demands being met, and if the birds give up Gausman, they better be getting a heck of a lot more than Gausman back.

What's a 15 HR, 50 RBI guy worth? I am guessing he is worth maybe 9 HR's and 30 RBI's the rest of the way. No way I am paying much for that...

I'd take Upton's bobblehead for Snider.

I don't know, there are durability issues there. It seems like the spring is losing its elasticity. Used to be, you would get 8 - 10 head bobs with a light tap to the forehead, but now it's only 5 or 6. Thinking we'd have major buyer's regret only a little bit down the road.

Depends on if you are paying for his stats this year or his career. He is pretty much a lock for .800 OPS (career .825). He was hitting close to his norms through June but he has had a bad month. I have not followed him closely, so perhaps there is a health issue. Otherwise, I would assume he is the same player in the prime of his career. Doesn't mean I would overpay for a rental, but I would not necessarily assume this year's stats are representative of what he is going to do.

This would be my kind of Blockbuster...

O's get:

Andrew Cashner

Tyson Ross

Jedd Gyorko

Will Venable

Some $$$ to help cover remaining 2015 contracts

Padres get:

Kevin Gausman

Jonathan Schoop

Mike Wright

David Lough

A prospect of SD's choosing(Dariel Alvarez, Zach Davies, Christian Walker, etc.)

2016 Competitive Balance Pick

We would get pieces with control remaining(other than Venable, who would be a strict rental), which would offset the loss of ML-ready talent, while the Padres would be getting cheap assets that can contribute right away and simultaneously saving huge amounts of cash, AND they would still have Justin Upton to deal for good value.

If we could pull something like that off with enough time leftover to deal Bud Norris for literally any C-level prospect, even better.

O's get:

Andrew Cashner

Tyson Ross

Jedd Gyorko

Will Venable

Padres get:

Kevin Gausman

Jonathan Schoop

Mike Wright

David Lough

A prospect of SD's choosing(Dariel Alvarez, Zach Davies, Christian Walker, etc.)

We would get pieces with control remaining(other than Venable, who would be a strict rental), which would offset the loss of ML-ready talent, while the Padres would be getting cheap assets that can contribute right away and simultaneously saving huge amounts of cash, AND they would still have Justin Upton to deal for good value.

If we could pull something like that off with enough time leftover to deal Bud Norris for literally any C-level prospect, even better.

No! Schoop is the future with Manny. Two guys you can build a team around.

O's get:

Andrew Cashner

Tyson Ross

Jedd Gyorko

Will Venable

Padres get:

Kevin Gausman

Jonathan Schoop

Mike Wright

David Lough

No thanks!

Archived