O's discussing blockbuster with the Padres for Upton?

SamsHorn

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can you get him to DH? He's played his entire career in the NL and he's a few years removed from being the game's next superstar, and he's still "only" 30. I bet he would resent being a DH heavily.

The other thing is, if he's a DH, then he only has value if his OPS+ is 138. 2013 and 2015 Kemp has an OPS+ very slightly over 100. I don't see a reason to believe we'd get one Kemp or another.

It's not just about hitting the jackpots, it's about the cost of the tickets. Pearce and Paredes are very cheap experiments. I'm not sure how much we'd end up paying Kemp but it's probably at least a few Jimmy Paredes per year.

- He wanted to play center this year, despite being horrible there.

- If he DHs his value does decline. If he's that 100 OPS guy that's a replacement-level DH.

- The DH penalty - most players hit worse as DHs than they do when playing the field.

- The O's rarely have a guy who doesn't play the field. Nelson Cruz played, what, halftime in the field last year?

I think the whole thing adds up to likely production you can get out of a much less expensive package.

To me, Kemp would be a DH only. His defense is pretty bad. SD would need to kick in more salary relief if we were going to take Kemp on, and STILL not ask for much in return.

His defense at COF would be better than young or Cruz, though, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- He wanted to play center this year, despite being horrible there.

- If he DHs his value does decline. If he's that 100 OPS guy that's a replacement-level DH.

- The DH penalty - most players hit worse as DHs than they do when playing the field.

- The O's rarely have a guy who doesn't play the field. Nelson Cruz played, what, halftime in the field last year?

I think the whole thing adds up to likely production you can get out of a much less expensive package.

I think there is a substantial penalty for a DH that is not PED enhanced. Especially as they age.

Mets are about to steal Upton from us. :P

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/07/mets-nearing-big-trade-likely-for-hitter.html

The Mets are “very close to pulling off a big trade,” Marc Carig of Newsday reports on Twitter. There is momentum towards a deal for a “big bat,” Andy Martino of the New York Daily News tweets. Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com first connected New York to the chase for a “big bat” earlier today. Adam Rubin of ESPN.com tweeted that the team was working on a fan-pleasing trade.

cue dramatic music

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Oh. Tyson Ross and Justin Upton both out of the game in the sixth.</p>— Dennis Lin (@dennistlin) <a href="https://twitter.com/dennistlin/status/626562432199168000">July 30, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

cue dramatic music

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Oh. Tyson Ross and Justin Upton both out of the game in the sixth.</p>— Dennis Lin (@dennistlin) <a href="https://twitter.com/dennistlin/status/626562432199168000">July 30, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

If we got both of these players you can kiss Gausman goodbye. And I have no problem with it.

Archived