O's discussing blockbuster with the Padres for Upton?

SamsHorn

I've seen Alonso's name thrown around here a bit. Why do you think he's maybe a worthwhile piece? To me he's a 28-year-old first baseman with a career high of 9 homers and 1.2 WAR, kind of a buy-low throw-in. His 2015 batting line looks quite a bit like Nick Markakis'.

Somewhere, in a dark, musty room littered with Casey Kotchman memorabilia, SG just shed a tear.

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Offered in the goofiest of trade deadline week spirit, back of the envelope math if the Orioles were to repeat the Dodgers bail out of the Red Sox a few years ago now.

Millions rounded off to nearest whole number.

Changing horses from Ubaldo to Shields increases AAV by $8M for 2016-2017, and obligates club to 1/23 on Shields for 2018

Kimbrel and Kemp earn $34M together for 2016-2017. Kemp has two more years at $22M beyond that.

That $42M roughly equals Orioles 2015 expiring contracts on Davis, Norris, Wieters, DeAza, Chen and Hunter.

Kemp from age 31-34 probably earns Cuddyer money, so his contract is say $40M underwater

Shields and Ubaldo are I feel similarly underwater, and a push.

I do think Shields is a smart pitcher, and some of his increased K and HR rates this year is him not wanting any balls hit to that defense.

I don't think Kemp alone is enough underwater for them to "give" us both Kimbrel and Upton, but maybe one of them.

Preller wants to rid himself of Gyorko - owed 4/33 next four years. Let's say Gyorko is like Arroyo was for Atlanta, and the other one is like Touki.

Gyorko's underwater ~25M subsidy lets you have the other of Upton/Kimbrel for just money.

We've wondered how Dan replaces all our impending FA's this year - this uses the open space on Kimbrel, Shields and Kemp for Manny and Gausman's best years.

Maybe Gyorko in next year's spring training mixes with Walker and Mancini in a 1B/DH mishmash. You save on Britton's Arb since he doesn't compile saves.

This move means having the bulk of 2016's offseason right now, and Kemp long-term would mean committing to Joseph at C as well as the 1b mishmash to open 2016

But Kimbrel as this year's Miller, Upton/Kemp in the corners instead of our patches, and Shields upgrading Ubaldo would make Wieters, Davis, Chen and O'Day's last ride kind of fun.

I imagine AJ would dig those wingmen.

@Buster_ESPN: BTW:Rival executives beginning to wonder if SD's best play with Justin Upton now might turn out to be taking the compensation draft pick.

Who do we have in our system that we can afford to part with and is clearly better than a supplemental pick?

Davies? Davies for Upton?

Daniel Alvarez and Mychal Givens for Upton?

I would rather do trade # 2. Substitute Walker for Alvarez if they prefer Walker.

Offered in the goofiest of trade deadline week spirit, back of the envelope math if the Orioles were to repeat the Dodgers bail out of the Red Sox a few years ago now.

Millions rounded off to nearest whole number.

Changing horses from Ubaldo to Shields increases AAV by $8M for 2016-2017, and obligates club to 1/23 on Shields for 2018

Kimbrel and Kemp earn $34M together for 2016-2017. Kemp has two more years at $22M beyond that.

That $42M roughly equals Orioles 2015 expiring contracts on Davis, Norris, Wieters, DeAza, Chen and Hunter.

Kemp from age 31-34 probably earns Cuddyer money, so his contract is say $40M underwater

Shields and Ubaldo are I feel similarly underwater, and a push.

I do think Shields is a smart pitcher, and some of his increased K and HR rates this year is him not wanting any balls hit to that defense.

I don't think Kemp alone is enough underwater for them to "give" us both Kimbrel and Upton, but maybe one of them.

Preller wants to rid himself of Gyorko - owed 4/33 next four years. Let's say Gyorko is like Arroyo was for Atlanta, and the other one is like Touki.

Gyorko's underwater ~25M subsidy lets you have the other of Upton/Kimbrel for just money.

We've wondered how Dan replaces all our impending FA's this year - this uses the open space on Kimbrel, Shields and Kemp for Manny and Gausman's best years.

Maybe Gyorko in next year's spring training mixes with Walker and Mancini in a 1B/DH mishmash. You save on Britton's Arb since he doesn't compile saves.

This move means having the bulk of 2016's offseason right now, and Kemp long-term would mean committing to Joseph at C as well as the 1b mishmash to open 2016

But Kimbrel as this year's Miller, Upton/Kemp in the corners instead of our patches, and Shields upgrading Ubaldo would make Wieters, Davis, Chen and O'Day's last ride kind of fun.

I imagine AJ would dig those wingmen.

Who are you trading for all of those players?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The more I poke around on those <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a>-<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Padres?src=hash">#Padres</a> talks about Justin Upton, the less likely it seems to happen. But worth watching.</p>? Jayson Stark (@jaysonst) <a href="
">July 28, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Translation: My first tweet generated a solid amount of attention, now I'll follow up on the story I created and find there is nothing to it.

I've seen Alonso's name thrown around here a bit. Why do you think he's maybe a worthwhile piece? To me he's a 28-year-old first baseman with a career high of 9 homers and 1.2 WAR, kind of a buy-low throw-in. His 2015 batting line looks quite a bit like Nick Markakis'.

I look at the 2016 team as having vacancies in the corner outfield and first base.

I'm a big Paredes supporter, but should we have him penciled in at DH? We looked to rely on Pearce after a career year too. He's definitely on my team, but I want to be prepared if he falls back to Earth.

Then we have guys like Reimold, Snider, and Lough.

Depending on these parts to fill out so many positions hasn't been too great.

Kemp's OPS+ is 103. Snider's is 88. Defensively, I'd treat him like Cruz. Play him just enough to have him feel involved , but primarily DH him.

To your question, Alonso provides OBP which this team lacks. I know he's hitting arbitration, but he's less expensive than Markakis. He also solidifies 1B and we don't have to depend on Flaherty, Parmalee, Walker, or rush Mancini.

Those two would solidify to spots and then DD only needs to worry about the other two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Somewhere, in a dark, musty room littered with Casey Kotchman memorabilia, SG just shed a tear.

Kotchman is only 32 and he's OPSing .816 for the Omaha Royals! Somewhere SG is still Kotchman's biggest fan, lamenting year nine (Or is it 11? Or 13?) of the org's failure to acquire the slick-fielding, line-drive hitting star.

To your question, Alonso provides OBP which this team lacks. I know he's hitting arbitration, but he's less expensive than Markakis. He also solidifies 1B and we don't have to depend on Flaherty, Parmalee, Walker, or rush Mancini.

Those two would solidify to spots and then DD only needs to worry about the other two.

And I'd counter that a guy who averages one win per 500 PAs isn't solidifying anything. He's another Snider, Parmelee, Lough potential part-time asset if the price is right.

And I'd counter that a guy who averages one win per 500 PAs isn't solidifying anything. He's another Snider, Parmelee, Lough potential part-time asset if the price is right.

And I'd counter that Alonso averages more than one win per 500 PAs. More like 1 per 350 PAs -(bbref)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, but just think, the Os would be synergizing strategies by acquiring Manny's brother in law thereby making both players better. It's super effective!

Hopefully, that would be WAY more effective than having the Upton brothers playing together! :D

Yeah, but just think, the Os would be synergizing strategies by acquiring Manny's brother in law thereby making both players better. It's super effective!

That's what's great about chemistry. It can't be quantified, so it can be used to justify anything! Try to prove that Manny + Alonso won't be worth 14 wins together when they've never played together!

Archived