O's discussing blockbuster with the Padres for Upton?

SamsHorn

Yep.

I am just stating that in some cases, the tank strategy is a completely valid strategy to take.

Then of course someone mentioned that it was "distasteful" then when I mentioned other distasteful things done by teams to win I get accused of fishing.

Trading Tulo without asking him first, when that goes against your word, that's distasteful, yet the Rockies did it.

I prefer good taste. Not everyone is skilled at it. I object to distaste as an operational plan. For the most part, the Baltimore Orioles are at this point from top to bottom an Organization we can be proud of supporting.

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I did not care for those "smart"posters. I wan to win every game. Even when you have 69 wins on the last game of the season.

Nor did I. The need to "retool" at times is a natural part of the cyclical process franchises go through. It's a reasonable debate for the Orioles to have at this specific moment, although my vote is to go for it. Even a full rebuild is sometimes necessary. but of that happens more than once a generation, I think that warrants some harsh criticism. But that's not tanking and never has been. The notion that a team however it's currently constructed should not try to do its best on the field every game is the definition of tanking. And that's not merely distasteful, it's fundamentally corrupt regardless of any reward that might come from it.

Yep.

I am just stating that in some cases, the tank strategy is a completely valid strategy to take.

Then of course someone mentioned that it was "distasteful" then when I mentioned other distasteful things done by teams to win I get accused of fishing.

Trading Tulo without asking him first, when that goes against your word, that's distasteful, yet the Rockies did it.

The tank strategy is pointless in baseball. Players take years to develop in the minors. Although it was a pretty good strategy for Harper, Strasburg and the Astros. But the Astros did things a little different. They were just honest about doing a complete rebuild and spent money in player development, the draft and the Intl market.

Football is the best sport to "tank" in. Because it affects your schedule and you get a higher draft pick. The NBA is next because that's the only way for small market, losing teams to get a superstar.

The tank strategy is pointless in baseball. Players take years to develop in the minors. Although it was a pretty good strategy for Harper, Strasburg and the Astros. But the Astros did things a little different. They were just honest about doing a complete rebuild and spent money in player development, the draft and the Intl market.

Football is the best sport to "tank" in. Because it affects your schedule and you get a higher draft pick. The NBA is next because that's the only way for small market, losing teams to get a superstar.

So it is pointless except when it works?

By no means am I advocating the O's tear it down but it is a strategy that has worked.

I would not be surprised to see another team in the near future try it.

I would in a second.

I'd trade Chen for Puig in a second. Then go out and trade for another starting pitcher. The market is getting flooded. Chen's value, performance wise, is at an all time high. Puig's is probably on the lower end value wise from where he's been. We could get a Haren, Kennedy, Leake, type for not that much. Then there is Price or Jeff Z. Or players with 1+ years of control.

There is no way we get Puig for Chen. If we can, he should have been traded yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since the Tigers are going to lose him anyway, could Cespedes be had for something less than his normal trade value?

Since the Tigers are going to lose him anyway, could Cespedes be had for something less than his normal trade value?

I don't know, he seems like a slightly better version of De Aza. Not enough to push us over the hump, in my opinion. Might as well sell if he is the type of guy we are looking to add.

I don't know, he seems like a slightly better version of De Aza. Not enough to push us over the hump, in my opinion. Might as well sell if he is the type of guy we are looking to add.

More than slightly. Lifetime OPS+ is 117 vs 101, and Cespedes has an arm good enough to play all OF positions while de Aza has a LFer's wet noodle.

Saying Cespedes is a slighty better player than De Aza is like saying Adam Jones is a slightly better player than Travis Snider.

Evidently the Tigers and White Sox have decided not to be sellers.
Saying Cespedes is a slighty better player than De Aza is like saying Adam Jones is a slightly better player than Travis Snider.

^^^ Agree with this. He could be a very nice addition.

Even if the Tigers are strictly sellers, there has been some discussion that they might want to deal Cespedes anyway because he's not staying and they can't give him a QO. Kind of puts them at a disadvantage in negotiations if they do decide to deal him. I just don't know how much cheaper it would make him.

Archived