Tough three days for Manny -- I hope he's not heading into a slump

Frobby

Manny is 0 for 13 the last three days. Yesterday, the Braves twice walked Davis intentionally to get to Manny, and he struck out both times. His timing really looked off on all of his at bats last night. I hope this isn't the start of a significant slump. He had one from May 13 to June 5 -- .621 OPS over 23 games. He actually hadn't been hitless two games in a row since May 29-30 until the last three days.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He is a number 3 hitter. I think it is just a coincidence that his slump started at the time of the switch.

I just hope it's not a mental thing. For instance, knowing you're batting third when that power is expected of you. It looked to me a bit like he was over-swinging last night trying to kill the ball.

He is a number 3 hitter. I think it is just a coincidence that his slump started at the time of the switch.

I agree. But I also think he's pressing a bit too. He wants to score those runs on base and swinging the bat is the only way to do it. He needs to continue to be selective like when he was batting leadoff. . regardless, he'll be fine.

Manny is going to rise out of the ashes like a Phoenix and tear it up.

All jokes aside, the real problem is that he's pressing to get hits instead of just working the pitcher like he was doing before. To that point, it's not really a slump, it's just ignoring what has gotten you to this point. It's nothing a good slap in the face cant fix.

I thought batting Manny leadoff was silly but I also strongly believe you don't fix what isn't broken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, this is where I break out of my statistical slant and say that stuff like this "can" matter. As good a hitter as Markakis was he even admitted that he changed his approach and pressed more when moved to the 3 spot. Can't do that. Hopefully Manny will get it together and get back on track. It's probably not much of an issue, but 1 or 3 just doesn't matter and if the guy is comfortable batting 1 then don't mess with it.

I think the numbers clearly show that hitting third is getting to him.

They need to move him back up in the batting order as soon as possible before it gets in his head.

Manny just isn't ready to hit third yet.

Wait, what about that that thread we had a few weeks ago, when the consensus was, it didn't matter where you hit in the batting order? :)

I think the numbers clearly show that hitting third is getting to him.

They need to move him back up in the batting order as soon as possible before it gets in his head.

Manny just isn't ready to hit third yet.

While this might be the case (no real way of knowing one way or the other right now), it's just way too small a sample size to make a declaration like this. He's more of a 3 hitter than a lead off.

Archived