Orioles trade Davies for Parra. Your verdict?

PaulFolk

Do you like the Davies for Parra trade?  

193 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the Davies for Parra trade?

• I approve. A small price to pay to fix the O's OF hole with a quality veteran.
    • I disapprove. The O's gave up up a pitching prospect for a rental who won't move the needle.

This poll is closed to new votes

Yeah, no GM is perfect. I've been disappointed with nearly all of DD's trades and his practice of "selling" draft picks, but he's certainly got strengths, including restraint in free agency, which is a big one. At this point, I hope he sticks around, but if he goes to Toronto this offseason it won't bother me as much as would have last offseason.

I've been generally supportive of Duquette but having restraint is almost requisite with the job for the Orioles. Not much of a choice. Our system isn't in good shape.

This was a terrible trade. I've been very high on Davies from the start due to his nice stats given his age/league. But I would have disapproved a trade for an overachieving deadline player even for a C prospect. Duquette is throwing away good money after bad, given that his offseason outfield plan fell on its face.

An argument can be made that deals (particularly trade deadline) are not DD's forte.

Arrieta, Strop for Feldman

Hader, Hoes for Norris

Eduardo for Miller

Davies for Parra

Two genuine big league starters and two likely 2016 big league starters will be pitching for other teams. And we will have....no return at big league or prospect level.

While I supported and still support the Miller acquisition as truly going for it last year, and I even understood the Arrieta deal at the time, this deal is not one that I support. I think it continues a depletion of pitching prospects in our system particularly since our two top prospects both have arm concerns. And I do not think it makes getting to wild card or playoffs this season substantially more likely than with our current group of position players.

DD is always going to be open to trade away prospects. Especially guys that profile as back end rotation guys or bullpen arms. "Role Players". And that's what he's traded away. He's shown the ability to acquire those types on the cheap and have a ton of depth.

An argument can be made that deals (particularly trade deadline) are not DD's forte.

Arrieta, Strop for Feldman

Hader, Hoes for Norris

Eduardo for Miller

Davies for Parra

Two genuine big league starters and two likely 2016 big league starters will be pitching for other teams. And we will have....no return at big league or prospect level.

While I supported and still support the Miller acquisition as truly going for it last year, and I even understood the Arrieta deal at the time, this deal is not one that I support. I think it continues a depletion of pitching prospects in our system particularly since our two top prospects both have arm concerns. And I do not think it makes getting to wild card or playoffs this season substantially more likely than with our current group of position players.

Do you think Milwaukee is likely to start a 22yr old and 23yr old with no MLB experience in the same rotation?

It's possible that we do have our backup catcher out of this too, as little consolation that may be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

By letting him walk away to Toronto? How is that selling high, or selling at all?

We gave Dan the opportunity to bring back an appropriate return. Unfortunately, he could not close the deal. I assume Anthopoulos did NOT want him as his boss.

Angelos should have traded him for a bunch of prospects to stock up the farm, and then signed a cheap GM more willing to do (insert their overarching plan that's totally different from Duquette's here).

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">R T <a href="https://twitter.com/jaysonst">@jaysonst</a> One exec on what went wrong for the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Padres?src=hash">#Padres</a>: Miscalculation of a market that turned on them."Buyer's market. Didn't suit A.J."</p>— Orioles Hangout (@OriolesHangout) <a href="

">July 31, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• 2 weeks later...
Career numbers aren't what we traded for. We traded for this year numbers. This year numbers are the numbers that are happening this year, in the current season. Like right now, as in what he's been able to do this current season.
So then we should expect Snider to jump about 40 points in the OPS department in the final 2 months. Or Paredes to tank about 100 points.

The guy's on fire this year and the year is almost over. He's going to remain relatively on fire for the rest of the year because he's having a good year. He's better than Snider.

Parra, since joining the Orioles: .211/.268/.316. He's actually been worth negative WAR. We gave up one of our top prospects for the privilege of hurting our team, both in the future and the present.

Small sample size, sure, but we're at the point of the season where there are only small samples left. It was pretty much a coin toss on who would perform better between Snider and Davies with only a couple months to play. Just a terrible trade.

This is not just hindsight either. The indicators were there: career year inflated with an unsustainable BABIP. It's surprising that he has been this bad, but not that he's regressed significantly.

Edited by Scrat1

Yep I posted in some thread that Parra's worst months for his career have been August and September, that coupled with his super hot July rose a big red flag with me.

I thought he would give us a .725 OPS for 55 games. Maybe he'll get there. But when you couple this with the salary dump of Hunter and keeping Garcia on the roster it just doesn't make any sense

Parra, since joining the Orioles: .211/.268/.316. He's actually been worth negative WAR. We gave up one of our top prospects for the privilege of hurting our team, both in the future and the present.

Small sample size, sure, but we're at the point of the season where there are only small samples left. It was pretty much a coin toss on who would perform better between Snider and Davies with only a couple months to play. Just a terrible trade.

This is not just hindsight either. The indicators were there: career year inflated with an unsustainable BABIP. It's surprising that he has been this bad, but not that he's regressed significantly.

It was just a horrible, indefensible trade the second it was announced.

Yep, as I said early in this thread:

He's rocking a 370 BABIP and his career wRC+ is 95.

He's as or more likely to fall back to career norms as he is to continue at his current level.

Not too many guys become a totally different hitter their sixth year in the league.

At least they only had to pay for two months of him and not a year+.