Orioles trade Davies for Parra. Your verdict?

PaulFolk

Do you like the Davies for Parra trade?  

193 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the Davies for Parra trade?

• I approve. A small price to pay to fix the O's OF hole with a quality veteran.
    • I disapprove. The O's gave up up a pitching prospect for a rental who won't move the needle.

This poll is closed to new votes

I know this will get little, if any, traction here, but I think the poll numbers reflect this a lot better than the post-trade hand-wringing: Parra had every expectation of being an average MLB outfielder filling a sub-replacement hole, while Davies was in a fairly tight grouping with Wright and Wilson as potential future backend starters. I thought it was justifiable, the Orioles were in a spot where a win or two was conceivably the difference between the playoffs and not. Much of the hate and discontent* comes from the fact that Parra had a near .900 OPS in Milwaukee, but a .625 for the Orioles.

* Exempting Can_of_corn, who had an intense fear and loathing of the trade from day one for mostly ideological reasons.

I know this will get little, if any, traction here, but I think the poll numbers reflect this a lot better than the post-trade hand-wringing: Parra had every expectation of being an average MLB outfielder filling a sub-replacement hole, while Davies was in a fairly tight grouping with Wright and Wilson as potential future backend starters. I thought it was justifiable, the Orioles were in a spot where a win or two was conceivably the difference between the playoffs and not. Much of the hate and discontent* comes from the fact that Parra had a near .900 OPS in Milwaukee, but a .625 for the Orioles.

* Exempting Can_of_corn, who had an intense fear and loathing of the trade from day one for mostly ideological reasons.

Pretty accurate analysis.

Lots of folks wanted to do it with Schoop.

Kinda hard to justify not getting the seventh year when you aren't going to contend anyway.

I'd like the next CBA to just state that you become a free agent after six years of service time, or after your age 28 season (or maybe 27, I haven't totally thought this through), whichever is first. So for most players who come up at 23 or 24 or 25 it would incentivize putting them in the majors as soon as they're ready to play any kind of role. No more games, just put your best players out there, with a few exceptions.

No, this is not going to happen. But I believe the NHL does do something like this.

That was the PRO side of the trade; Davies isn't special and Parra was an upgrade over the lousy COFs we had. The CON side was the Parra would come here and suck because he was hitting well over his career average AND Davies, special or not was a decent and cheap option on a team with a poor rotation.

That was the PRO side of the trade; Davies isn't special and Parra was an upgrade over the lousy COFs we had. The CON side was the Parra would come here and suck because he was hitting well over his career average AND Davies, special or not was a decent and cheap option on a team with a poor rotation.

Hard to argue there.

I wasn't scared.

I won't deny the loathing.

Sorry, I can't blow up a team 1 game out of a playoff spot on July 30th. The goal every season is to make the post season....if you are close you have to go for it....if you are 10 games out of a WC spot, then you sell.

Yeah, I just had irrational fears that the O's wouldn't re-sign anyone. But except for Chen they did. So it ended up being alright.

I was and am in this camp as well. Note my comment on page 2 or 3: "I hate it." I hated the Ed Rod trade as well. Each one of these moves is kinda sorta justifiable, but taken in aggregate they're idiotic and a big reason why we're in the position we're in today. DD mostly lost me after the Davies trade. I no longer have faith in his process.

Until the NL stops getting their rear ends handed to them in interleague play. I'll always expect a downturn in numbers from just about anyone we get from said league. Not many people agree with that assessment but I think it is a valid one.

Not to the point that Parra tanked but a reasonable downturn.

An interesting article speculating why the AL wins year after year

http://mlbreports.com/2014/06/23/aldominance/#more-42058

The record last year

http://mlbreports.com/mlb-interleague/interleague-2015/

Edited by OsEatAlEast

• 4 months later...

Dave Schoenfield yesterday wrote an article called "Each team's most untouchable player at the trade deadline." Guess who got the nod for the Brewers? Zach Davies, who ironically, was traded at the deadline last year by the Orioles.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/72494/trade-deadline-big-list-each-teams-most-untouchable-player

Schoenfield named Chance Sisco as our most untouchable player. However, he made clear that "[f]or the contenders, I considered only prospects or young players who have been mentioned in rumors." So I guess Bundy wasn't mentioned in rumors?