Orioles trade Davies for Parra. Your verdict?

PaulFolk

Do you like the Davies for Parra trade?  

193 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the Davies for Parra trade?

• I approve. A small price to pay to fix the O's OF hole with a quality veteran.
    • I disapprove. The O's gave up up a pitching prospect for a rental who won't move the needle.

This poll is closed to new votes

Davies is going to be a useful starting pitcher, the kind of cheap, reasonably effective arm the Orioles could really use.

Which in a nutshell why I was so adamantly opposed to that trade. We're going to lose Chen this offseason and Gonzalez has not been impressive this year and may have to fight for a job. Tillman was bad, Jimenez was good for a half then bad for a half, and Gausman will end up a good solid #3 pitcher. You don't trade guys like Davies for guys like Parra when you are at best a mediocre ballclub with a middle of the road budget.

I didn't vote in this thread, which is unusual for me. I remember at the time feeling kind of "meh" about it. I think Tony wound up being right. Parra has been pretty awful while he's been here.

No debating that. Had he been Cepedes, we would have won this year ;)

Lough is gonna have a better year for the Os than Parra. Lough!

Someone needs to take away Dan's trading privileges before he completely bankrupts the farm.

(I'm still not sold on Davies though. Every time I watch him pitch I keep getting a Brad Bergesen vibe. Brad started off hot too looking like a serviceable 3/4 for years to come. Then *poof*)

Another shockingly bad trade by Duquette.

Lough is gonna have a better year for the Os than Parra. Lough!

Someone needs to take away Dan's trading privileges before he completely bankrupts the farm.

(I'm still not sold on Davies though. Every time I watch him pitch I keep getting a Brad Bergesen vibe. Brad started off hot too looking like a serviceable 3/4 for years to come. Then *poof*)

I could understand most of his other trades. Last year, Miller made the Orioles legitimate World Series contender. To me, giving up E-rod, who I liked and think will end up a solid 3/4th starter was worth it because the organization still had Bundy, Harvey and Davies. Previous to that, although I was an Arrieta guy from s stuff perspective, he clearly was pitching his way to being DFAd along with Strop so packaging them for a starter that they needed made some sense. Obviously in retrospect it has turned out to be a terrible trade. I was even ok giving up Hader for Norris since Norris had years left on his contract and honestly, he was a big part of our championship year last year so that trade I feel was successful.

This off season I wasn't in love with giving up both Brault and Tarpley for Snider. Maybe you give up one of those arm for the guy, but no way you give up both. Both had outstanding years and would probably be in the top 10 prospect for this organization if they were still here.

The Davies trade made absolutely no sense whatsoever and makes me seriously question where Duquette is coming from at this point. Why trade your best healthy starting pitching prospect for a rental guy who won't move the needle much on a mediocre ball club? The only thing I can think of is that Duquette assessment of Davies was not very high and if so, he's was wrong in my opinion.

So in the last year, he's traded away:

RHP Zach Davies, 22 (2.84, 81-33, 101.1IP in AAA and 3.71 in six starts in MLB)

LHP Steven Tarpley, 22 (2.48, 105K-25BB, 116IP in Low-A)

LHP Steve Brault, 23 (2.43, 125K-40BB, in 155.2 IP between High-A and AA)

For:

Gerardo Parra (.213/.244/.332/.576, -1.2 rWAR) Free Agent at end of season

Travis Snider (.208/.296/.458/.755, 0.9 rWAR) Released

Either he needs to fire some scouts for these assessments or take a long look at how he values minor league prospects. I'm all about moving prospects in the right deal, but he and his staff did a poor job of evaluating the current Orioles team, the players they acquired, and the prospects they sent away because this is unacceptable and how you destroy franchises for years to come.

• Upvote 1

Apparently someone on Dan's staff felt the same way as you do because it's the only reason anyone should have considered trading Davies for Parra. Saying that, Bergesen was sinker, slider guy who had a career 5.7 K/9 ratio in the minors which meant he relied on a lot of balls getting hit at people. He spent most of his Double-A season as a 22-year old where he put up a 3.22 ERA and 4.4 k/9. Davies put up a 2.84 ERA in Norfolk along with a 7.2 K/9 in 19 games, and a 3.71 ERA and a 6.4 K/9 in six major league starts at 22. Bergesen had a career 4.8 K/9 in major leagues.

On top of it, Davies has three (sinking fastball, change, curve) average to above average pitches plus a slider that will flash average at times to give him a fourth pitch. Other than the fact they both came from the Orioles system and their fastballs were both 88-91, they really were different pitchers.

I wouldn't say that being a game and a half back in the Wild Card race was an "uphill battle". We weren't that far back. I think there were a lot of warning signs there that the team would fall back, but I could see the logic behind making a move if you think Parra's bat would continue to stay hot.

Unfortunately, his bat cooled off as soon as he got to Baltimore. That said, I never really got the feeling that the Os ever saw him as a legit prospect. Maybe it was a mistake, though I still don't really see the big deal. I really saw this as a nothing-burger kind of trade. We gave up a pitcher who some see upside in for a hot bat that ended up cooling off.

There was no reason to believe he could sustain his first half numbers. He'd never done anything like it offensively except once. He had a 113+ OPS all the way back in 2011 and in 2013 he put up 6.1 bWAR which was largely driven from the defensive side of the ball (4.0 dWAR). BABIP is real.

• 5 months later...
Me too. This one will turn out to be a disastrous decision by DD.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looking back at the poll results I'm surprised the opinion was split that evenly. I was certainly against it. I guess the more vocal posters were the ones to express their displeasure.

For a player like Ben Revere that we could have gotten another year out of it would have made sense. Also would have solved our LF/leadoff problem for this season.