Orioles trade Davies for Parra. Your verdict?

PaulFolk

Do you like the Davies for Parra trade?  

193 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the Davies for Parra trade?

• I approve. A small price to pay to fix the O's OF hole with a quality veteran.
    • I disapprove. The O's gave up up a pitching prospect for a rental who won't move the needle.

This poll is closed to new votes

For a much bigger reason, he should have traded more pieces. It's not just about Parra, as the poll was, but bad assessment by the GM.

Nope. You are not in line for the next GM opening. That's not how it works. That's not how any of this works.

Sorry, I can't blow up a team 1 game out of a playoff spot on July 30th. The goal every season is to make the post season....if you are close you have to go for it....if you are 10 games out of a WC spot, then you sell.

Yeah, I don't see how DD could have blown up the team. As late as August 16, we were in the second wild card position, with (according to BP) a 33% chance of making the playoffs, even considering the difficult remaining schedule we had.

The Parra for Davies trade was another matter, however. Two months of a guy who isn't likely to move the needle very far for six years of a young, cheap pitcher is not a good deal, even if that pitcher only has a 4th/5th starter ceiling that he may or may not attain. Especially when the guy is close to being ready for the majors and your system is thin.

Yeah, I don't see how DD could have blown up the team. As late as August 16, we were in the second wild card position, with (according to BP) a 33% chance of making the playoffs, even considering the difficult remaining schedule we had.

The Parra for Davies trade was another matter, however. Two months of a guy who isn't likely to move the needle very far for six years of a young, cheap pitcher is not a good deal, even if that pitcher only has a 4th/5th starter ceiling that he may or may not attain. Especially when the guy is close to being ready for the majors and your system is thin.

I agree. I do not think Parra was Dan's first choice. If he was, he made a mistake.

The Parra for Davies trade was another matter, however. Two months of a guy who isn't likely to move the needle very far for six years of a young, cheap pitcher is not a good deal, even if that pitcher only has a 4th/5th starter ceiling that he may or may not attain. Especially when the guy is close to being ready for the majors and most your system is thin.

Most weren't (at least me) saying blow it up, but trading a few pieces would have been a savvy move and Parra was just completely unnecessary.

Most weren't (at least me) saying blow it up, but trading a few pieces would have been a savvy move and Parra was just completely unnecessary.

Na. They were saying it. You just don't do it when you are trying to win it all. As the Orioles front office was. They just made a mistake in who they got. That's all. There were no pieces to be traded off. Savvy is not a word that you could use for that in the present as opposed to hindsight.

He might not be cracking the rotation because they want that added year of team control.

I guess they have desire to win this year. Or do they jus bring him up like the Cubs did with Bryant.

Do you really bury a starting pitcher in the minors, who is major league ready? Doesn't sound like a plan to win

I guess they have desire to win this year. Or do they jus bring him up like the Cubs did with Bryant.

Do you really bury a starting pitcher in the minors, who is major league ready? Doesn't sound like a plan to win

He misses a few starts and you get a whole extra year of team control.

Sounds like a plan to win to me.