Orioles trade Davies for Parra. Your verdict?

PaulFolk

Do you like the Davies for Parra trade?  

193 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the Davies for Parra trade?

• I approve. A small price to pay to fix the O's OF hole with a quality veteran.
    • I disapprove. The O's gave up up a pitching prospect for a rental who won't move the needle.

This poll is closed to new votes

An argument can be made that deals (particularly trade deadline) are not DD's forte.

Arrieta, Strop for Feldman

Hader, Hoes for Norris

Eduardo for Miller

Davies for Parra

Two genuine big league starters and two likely 2016 big league starters will be pitching for other teams. And we will have....no return at big league or prospect level.

While I supported and still support the Miller acquisition as truly going for it last year, and I even understood the Arrieta deal at the time, this deal is not one that I support. I think it continues a depletion of pitching prospects in our system particularly since our two top prospects both have arm concerns. And I do not think it makes getting to wild card or playoffs this season substantially more likely than with our current group of position players.

This is still how I feel now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think DD should not be allowed to make trades involving any more of our young pitchers, not that there are many left....

Terrible unnecessary trade. That trade made me lose confidence in DD. I thought the Erod trade with the Sox was a gamble that may have paid off. It was tough but our team would have gone to the show if they didn't hit the brick wall of the KC Royals.

Parra wasn't plugging holes in the titanic pitching staff last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Rene88

• 2 weeks later...
Davies was sent to MiL camp a few days ago by the Brewers. Also Josh Hader.

Hader, 1.29 ERA, 7 IP, 9k, 3 BB, batters hit .192 off him

Davies, 3.60 ERa, 10 IP, 9K, 2 BB, batter s hit .189 off him.

Davies would be in our rotation this year. Hader would be our top prospect. Just saying.

Davies would be in our rotation this year. Hader would be our top prospect. Just saying.

But Hader did get us Norris, and while I know he's become a popular whipping boy around here we don't have the 2014 season we did without Norris. I'd love to have Hader, but I'd make that trade again.

Parra for Davies though, that was a rough one.

Davies trade is the dumbest moment of DD's Orioles career. It capped off an absurd decision to not sell. We'd have better pitching now, $22M back, and the #14 pick.

I can defend other decisions, at least a bit, anyway.

I wish he had gone to Toronto.

• Upvote 1

Keeping that in mind and from a complete independent perspective outside of how all respective players performed, how happy would anyone have been if we hadn't traded for Norris when we did or Parra? These are ultimately win now moves that were made and I know neither did a whole lot in Baltimore these are the moves you make if you're competing for a playoff spot.

It could be argued we'd be in a lot better shape if we'd have lowered demands for Duquette to Toronto. Then maybe a better OF than Snider been acquired and there'd be no need for Parra subsequently keeping Davies.

And these young pitchers would be playing for cheap.

And this year, we traded our first round pick for Gallardo. This is more than a trend - it's the way the O's front office does business.

No wonder Dan wanted to bolt to Toronto and cash in on his success. He knew that his dealings would kill the farm system and the only reason we were winning is because of Buck.

But Hader did get us Norris, and while I know he's become a popular whipping boy around here we don't have the 2014 season we did without Norris. I'd love to have Hader, but I'd make that trade again.

Completely agree. I am fine with Norris trade.

Completely agree. I am fine with Norris trade.

The Norris trade was a net loss. He was bad when he came over here in 2013. Good in 2014. And one of the worst in baseball in 2015. I don't think Norris was the difference between us making or not making the playoffs in 2014. It was a bad trade when you look at the whole picture.

• Upvote 1

I don't disagree. I know DD did not want to include Hader but the Astros would not do the deal without him. Norris worked ouit for us because he was a key member of the 2014 rotation that was a hot Royals team away from being in the World Series. I think everyone knows my opinion on the Davies trade.