The Seattle Series, August 10-12

Frobby

The Jays are winning the AL East they keep it up. The Orioles would be chasing the Yankees and the Angels/Astros.

Exactly. Honestly we should be rooting for them against the 3 other teams you mentioned. The Yankees are the team most likely to collapse. We need to finish up 5-4 on this road trip and get to that 10 game homestand.

I was an advocate for re-signing him. To Frobby's above post, I did not think he was do better than we did last year. That said, I thought we needed his production.

That was my opinion too. Cruz still has to play out his contract and that is important to remember, but after season one, it's an obvious mistake that the team didn't match Seattle's contract offer.

That was my opinion too. Cruz still has to play out his contract and that is important to remember, but after season one, it's an obvious mistake that the team didn't match Seattle's contract offer.
I also advocated resigning Cruz. It was a huge mistake to let him walk.

I also advocated resigning Cruz. It was a huge mistake to let him walk.

I wonder if DD, in his heart of hearts, would go back in time and matched Seattle's offer and kept Nellie, only knowing that he'd be among the league best hitters through early August of Year One of his deal, while the O's corner OFs floundered. I would hope so.

Have we ever let a Most Valuable Oriole walk like that before? I had trouble finding a list of all the MVOs over the years....

I wonder if DD, in his heart of hearts, would go back in time and matched Seattle's offer and kept Nellie, only knowing that he'd be among the league best hitters through early August of Year One of his deal, while the O's corner OFs floundered. I would hope so.

Have we ever let a Most Valuable Oriole walk like that before? I had trouble finding a list of all the MVOs over the years....

Seattle signed Nelson Cruz December 4, and I know the Orioles wanted to bring him back, but wavered on that fourth year. The Winter Meetings were December 7-11. My opinion is that Toronto's tampering with Duquette had something to do with us not being able to retain him.

Another article in the Sun where Cruz's former manager and teammates talk about what a great player/leader/person he was in the clubhouse:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-nelson-cruz-0811-20150810-story.html

I know, it's been 9 months, way past time to move on... but this team would look SO much better with Cruz in the middle of that lineup right now. Just think if we could somehow exchange Lake for Cruz in last night's lineup, even with our current record and place in the standings, my optimism for our chances in October would jump tenfold. As it is, I just ain't feelin' it for this bunch this season... They may muster 85-87 wins, which might even get them that 2nd wild-card spot - but they look like an early playoff exit, at best...

Walker is the type of pitcher we tee off on. Power pitcher. Throws a FB(94.4) 65% of the time. Then a cutter 10% of the time. It's the sinkerballer, finesse guys that give us fits. When we put up run number 5, I'm replying to my own post.

I think tonight's game is all about Tillman. It's really unfortunate that he hurt his ankle just when he'd found his rhythm. If he can maintain it, he can dominate Seattle. But I'm nervous how the layoff may affect him.

Archived