The "other side" to how AM handled this offseason

Sports Guy

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If that happens, that would be great...But that doesn't mean it was a smart decision.

It wouild be a bad decision that turned out well..Sometimes that happens. I am hoping this will be one of those times.

So trading for less just because you are impatient is a good move.

Ah, I got it.

I completely understand what SG and JTrea for that matter are saying, but after the way we've seen this team ran for the past 10 years I'm pretty optimistic that AM will get us on the right track.

The thing that hasn't been discussed here is what impact, if any that PA has had on the BRob deal. It may not have been a veto, but it could have been something like "If you don't get a damn good deal back for BRob than I don't want him traded". Who knows what role PA has played in this. All signs point toward none, especially given the Tejada and Bedard trades. But PA loves Roberts, ya just never know.

No one is perfect. I agree that some of the dead weight should have been moved, but eating a lot of salary would have had to have happened. But it's not like we've "blown it" or anything with any of the non-moves we didn't make. It's not like a Adrian Gonzalez was available. Given our lack of a chance of competing this year i'd say that it's 6 on one hand half dozen on the other. I'm just happy that we seem to have someone competent and confident running the ship, and someone who evidently appears to have full autonomy.

Lets not beat a dead horse again lol.

So trading for less just because you are impatient is a good move.

Ah, I got it.

Who said anything about trading for less?

Have you even heard of the guys in Cubs supposed offer? Do you know there upside?

No one is saying to trade him for less so please, stop putting words into my mouth...If you want to attempt to have an intelligent conversation, do so...If you want to do your normal bs, go away.

You make the moves that can be made, and that make sense.

Going after non-upgrades and giving away Oriole Park just to move Kevin Millar don't fall under those areas.

And the moves were there to be made.

I bet if AM traded BRob and Payton for Gallagher, Ceda, EPat, Veal and Cedeno, you would be the first one applauding him and saying how great he is.

SG, I agree with most of what you're saying. Millar I think should be gone, and if not now, then definitely by the All-Star Break. Similar for Payton, especially since he was rumored in the BRob deals. But do we really know what exactly was being offered for Brob and Payton? Through all these discussions do we really know what exactly was offered for BRob? I might be inclined to hold out since he is under contract for two more years and try again at the All Star Break. However, besides BRob, the rest of the guys being discussed will return less than what they probably would garner at the AS break, when a competing team might be looking for a replacement for an injured guy down the stretch. At least that's what I'm hoping.

In any event, trading all these names besides Roberts really isn't THAT important to the rebuild other than that they are taking away possible roster sports to Moore among others. In the end, I'm not losing any sleep over the lack of movement b/c these guys will get a chance to play once the vets are moved, which will happen. It has to.

You don't know what was available and what was not. There's a big gap between what you dream up and what real GMs are actualy discussing.

It seems like we know the 4 for 1 for BRob.

We know that other teams are either looking to deal guys or have dealt guys for little in return.

This isn't anything being dreamed up...This is WHAT HAS HAPPENED!

Again, my view point would be different if an Adrian Gonzalez type was available this off-season. Missing out on guys who are true long-term options would be a huge failure. I haven't heard or even seen speculated that we've messed up that bad, so i'll take a glass half full approach on this one.

You don't know what was available and what was not. There's a big gap between what you dream up and what real GMs are actualy discussing.

What dream is there? Cintron is available now, Vargas is available now. You can't tell me that those guys aren't better than Fahey/Hernandez or Trachsel, yet we refuse to upgrade. Why? Why can't we just release Gibbons? Why can't we eat 4 million of Payton's contract? We have 26 million saved from Tejada. It's not like this team is hurting in the money department. This team can be a whole lot better than it is now and much more enjoyable to watch, yet the Orioles are taking the lazy way out and using the perception that we are going to lose 100 games as an excuse to do just that.

Archived