Duquette says signing Davis a priority.

33rdst

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If we spend 70M on Chen, I will be livid. Mark my words, he will be an ok reliever within 2 months of losing 2-3 mph on his fastball which will happen in the next 3 years. His offspeed stuff is not good enough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So are you saying that Chen will not get 5/70?

Or that the O's will not offer 5/70?

Or just that you will be mad if it happens?

Anyone really think Davis wont get 7 years? Im thinking 7/175 unless he starts to cool off dramatically.

Well, Mark Teixeira is a 1B represented by Boras and he got 8 yr / $180. He signed his age 29 season. Davis is one year older-ish.

Then you've got Prince Fielder. 9 yr / $214. He signed his age 28 season.

7/175 very well may be what they ask for. Davis doesn't quite have the track record through his 20s of the other two.

Is there a chance some teams offer less for Davis because they have to give up the 1st round pick? Would some of them that might be in the market for Davis have their pick protected? Could we theoretically offer more because we don't have to give up the pick?

Yes the cost of a pick, even if it is a second round pick, will be a factor in the decision making process of teams.

Of course I view it as the Orioles would give up a supplemental pick if they sign Davis. Since there is no way he wouldn't sign a deal before next year's draft.

Yes the cost of a pick, even if it is a second round pick, will be a factor in the decision making process of teams.

Of course I view it as the Orioles would give up a supplemental pick if they sign Davis. Since there is no way he wouldn't sign a deal before next year's draft.

Wait, what? We might lose a pick to sign Davis? I guess I don't understand something.

Wait' date=' what? We might lose a pick to sign Davis? I guess I don't understand something.[/quote']

Davis would get a qualifying offer and the O's would get a supplemental pick if he declined. If he resigned with O's then the QO wouldn't have been offered in the first place thus a supplemental pick wouldn't be in play.

Wait' date=' what? We might lose a pick to sign Davis? I guess I don't understand something.[/quote']

If the O's sign Davis then they will not receive a comp pick for him.

So in effect they will be forfeiting the comp pick to resign him.

Right now the O's are in line to have seven picks in the first two rounds.

1- pick

2- pick for Davis

3- pick for Wieters

4- pick for Chen

5- second round pick

6- pick for not signing #2 pick

7- comp pick

If they sign Davis then obviously they won't get a pick for him and the total number of picks drops for seven to six.

If the O's sign Davis then they will not receive a comp pick for him.

So in effect they will be forfeiting the comp pick to resign him.

Right now the O's are in line to have seven picks in the first two rounds.

1- pick

2- pick for Davis

3- pick for Wieters

4- pick for Chen

5- second round pick

6- pick for not signing #2 pick

7- comp pick

If they sign Davis then obviously they won't get a pick for him and the total number of picks drops for seven to six.

I don't want to give up any of those picks.

Let Chen go unless you can get him on a bargain deal.

Let Wieters go. Only give him the QO if you know he's going to turn it down.

Offer Davis a huge deal. I don't mean outbid every other team no matter what, but offer him something big.

Try to keep DOD but don't go crazy about it.

Lock up Machado long, long-term. Hell, throw Schoop a long-term deal as well.

Let Chen go unless you can get him on a bargain deal.

Let Wieters go. Only give him the QO if you know he's going to turn it down.

Offer Davis a huge deal. I don't mean outbid every other team no matter what, but offer him something big.

Try to keep DOD but don't go crazy about it.

Lock up Machado long, long-term. Hell, throw Schoop a long-term deal as well.

You might be able to get Schoop at a very reasonable rate.

Anyone really think Davis wont get 7 years? Im thinking 7/175 unless he starts to cool off dramatically.

There have only been 43 7+ year-contracts in MLB history. Of those only Giambi, Pujols, Adrian Gonzalez, Miguel Cabrera, Freddie Freeman, Prince Fielder, and Teixeira are first basemen. I think it is safe to say that Davis has been less valuable pre-signing than any player on that list other than Freeman, and he signed an extension at 24. I doubt Davis tops 6 years.

Archived