Do Some Losses Hurt More Than Others?

TonySoprano

Do Some Losses Matter than Others?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Do Some Losses Matter than Others?

• Yes, absolutely. One game can make or break a year.
    • No. Big picture wise, no one loss mattered more than others in the W/L column

First, I'm referring only to regular season games. Second, I'm referring to games that hurt us the most in the standings as opposed to emotionally. The latter for me is any loss to the Yankees, which is why I keep a heavy bag in the basement. It saves on tossing remotes at the TV, and punching holes in the walls.

One side of the argument is in the big picture no single loss means more than any others. We win some games we could have easily lost, and lose some tough games we should have won. In the end, these things balance out, more or less so there is no game or series that make or break an entire season. The Orioles have won 7 games in walk-off fashion and have lost 5 walk-off games

Others would argue that division games mean more. However, there are many more of them so hopefully there are more chances to make amends for a loss. For those that do believe one loss in particular can be the "death knell" of a season, let's play a game I'll call ...

"Pick Your Mulligan(s)"

Which loss hurt more than others, if you had a mulligan or two to use?

Here are some examples, feel free to add your own:

1. The Orioles suffer two one-run losses in NY July 21 and July 22. Put both of those in the win column, and the Orioles are a mere one game back in the standings. Chen and Gausman both us in the hole early. In the 7/21 game, the Orioles battled back to tie it 2-2 in the 6th before Chen gave a run back in the bottom of the inning. After two very close losses, the Birds were completely outmatched in the last game.

2. The much maligned game vs. the Angels on 8/9. Allowing Matusz to IBB two hitters was asking for trouble, and David Murphy made us pay. Win that game and the O's have an 1.5 game lead for the last WC slot instead of trailing 0.5 games.

3. Miami, May 23rd, the Orioles go 1-6 with RISP and strand 10 baserunners in a tough 1-0 loss in the 13th.

4. Seattle, August 11, the Orioles jump off to a 2-0 lead, but Tillman gives it back and then some, 5 ER in the first two, including 2 HRs. The O's battle back to tie it in the 8th, but T.J. "Spanky" McFarland was completely ineffective in the 10th, taking the loss.

5 The Minnesota series July 6, 7 and 8. In the opener, Chen had a QS with only 2 ER in 7 IP. After getting the first out in the 10th, Hunter gave up a single and a 2 run walk-off HR. That was by far the most winnable game of the series as Gauman surrendered 8 runs, 7 earned in 3.2 IP the next day. In the finale, Norris and Roe turned a small 1-0 lead into a 5-1 deficit in relief for Jiminez who had 110 pitches after 5.

The worst loss to the Yankees was the one in April where Adam Jones homered to give the Orioles a late lead but Tommy Hunter fell apart and gave up a grand slam to Stephen Drew the next inning.

The loss to the White Sox where Chris Davis was robbed of a potential game-tying HR in the 9th was irritating as well.

First, I'm referring only to regular season games. Second, I'm referring to games that hurt us the most in the standings as opposed to emotionally. The latter for me is any loss to the Yankees, which is why I keep a heavy bag in the basement. It saves on tossing remotes at the TV, and punching holes in the walls.

One side of the argument is in the big picture no single loss means more than any others. We win some games we could have easily lost, and lose some tough games we should have won. In the end, these things balance out, more or less so there is no game or series that make or break an entire season. The Orioles have won 7 games in walk-off fashion and have lost 5 walk-off games

Others would argue that division games mean more. However, there are many more of them so hopefully there are more chances to make amends for a loss. For those that do believe one loss in particular can be the "death knell" of a season, let's play a game I'll call ...

"Pick Your Mulligan(s)"

1. The Orioles suffer two one-run losses in NY July 21 and July 22. Put both of those in the win column, and the Orioles are a mere one game back in the standings. Chen and Gausman both us in the hole early. In the 7/21 game, the Orioles battled back to tie it 2-2 in the 6th before Chen gave a run back in the bottom of the inning. After two very close losses, the Birds were completely outmatched in the last game.

2. The much maligned game vs. the Angels on 8/9. Allowing Matusz to IBB two hitters was asking for trouble, and David Murphy made us pay. Win that game and the O's have an 1.5 game lead for the last WC slot instead of trailing 0.5 games.

3. Miami, May 23rd, the Orioles go 1-6 with RISP and strand 10 baserunners in a tough 1-0 loss in the 13th.

4. Seattle, August 11, the Orioles jump off to a 2-0 lead, but Tillman gives it back and then some, 5 ER in the first two, including 2 HRs. The O's battle back to tie it in the 8th, but T.J. "Spanky" McFarland was completely ineffective in the 10th, taking the loss.

5 The Minnesota series July 6, 7 and 8. In the opener, Chen had a QS with only 2 ER in 7 IP. After getting the first out in the 10th, Hunter gave up a single and a 2 run walk-off HR. That was by far the most winnable game of the series as Gauman surrendered 8 runs, 7 earned in 3.2 IP the next day. In the finale, Norris and Roe turned a small 1-0 lead into a 5-1 deficit in relief for Jiminez who had 110 pitches after 5.

ANY LOSS TO THE SKANKS & my biggest 2nd was that damn streak to their cheap cousins the Mets...

That why last nights win is my FAV so far this year. ;)

"Pick Your Mulligan(s)"

Nope a loss is a loss. IMO

The poll options are a little too black/white for me, but it's an interesting question and I think the answer is more Yes than No.

Just in terms of standings logistics, a loss to another contender hurts more than a loss to a bad team.

Archived