The 4-32 meltdown / Final 40-game predictions

Uli2001

If we're going to miss the playoffs, we might as well be REALLY bad. This team will miss the playoffs. On the one hand, it would be great to stay in it as long as possible and keep playing "meaningful" games long into September (although the much-repeated and hyped goal of playing "meaningful" games sounds like something a huge loser says to comfort himself when he fails -- I lost, but at least my games "MEANT" something, whatever that is supposed to be who knows?). On the other hand, 4-32 finish could wake people the up that this organization has serious problems that need to be addressed. And it does.

I think we have a bit of an uphill battle to finish over .500 this year. But I think the O's will benefit from having an expanded roster in September, more than most teams. I just hope we don't dig a deep hole on this upcoming road trip.

I think we have a bit of an uphill battle to finish over .500 this year. But I think the O's will benefit from having an expanded roster in September, more than most teams. I just hope we don't dig a deep hole on this upcoming road trip.

13 of the next 16 on the road against good teams with TB sandwiched at home will pretty much tell the story of the season. If this team has another gear its now or never to find it.

The remaining schedule is brutal. It will be a gut punch to miss the playoffs, and even more so to end up with a losing record. If they play .667 ball over the final 39, that will put them with 88 wins, competitive for WC#2. However, looking at the schedule below, I feel that breaking even is more likely, if not a bit worse than that.

@ Royals (4)

@ Rangers (3)

Rays (3)

@ Blue Jays (3)

@ Yankees (3)

Royals (3)

Red Sox (3)

@ Rays (4)

@ Gnats (3)

@ Red Sox (3)

Blue Jays (4)

Yankees (3)

• 1 month later...
Uli2001 said:

It was many years ago on this exact date, Aug 22, that the Orioles got to .500 and then embarked on the infamous late season 4-32 meltdown, which became a symbol of the "dark years."

So what is your prediction for the next 40 games?

Uli2001 said:

I still don't know about a late-season meltdown, but I will just say this: Buck Showalter's tradition of finishing the season strong will be SEVERELY tested by this bunch.

Uli2001 said:

Good point. Add 2015 to 2007 and 2002. Not a stellar date in O's history.

o

The Orioles finished the final 36 games of the season at 18-18.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BAL/2015-schedule-scores.shtml

o

Archived