vs. ROYALS, 8/26

OFFNY

I wonder if it was more of a perception because of how crucial the situations were when it happened to the O's rather than the avg. of times it happened.

I think it is confirmation bias. We expect it to happen, so we notice when it does. We don't notice as much when it doesn't.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate it when Manny runs. He's not a base steal, just too slow for it. He stoles some bases early because nobody was paying attention.

The element of surprise is gone now. You had you're Pearl Harbor and your blitzkrieg. Pitchers are watching now.

I'm not sure I understand Yost's strategy here. They got within two runs, and he kept Guthrie in, even though we've been hitting him pretty hard.

The bullpen has been used a lot the last two games. With questionable starting pitching, I think the strategy is to burn the bullpen any time they have the lead, put in Guthrie any time they are behind and hope for the best. I think that's their model and it actually seems to be working.

It does seem like when Zach has gotten in trouble, there have been at least a few of those. On the other hand, he gets a ton of routine grounders too. Something for the analytics people to look at. Intriguing idea.

Yeah. I'm not suggesting you come in all the way, just a step.

If we win this there will be 36 games left. In order to get the Wild Card I think we have go 23-13' date=' maybe a little better than that. It's very unlikely given the schedule and the team's record against teams over .500 . We'll need our starting pitching to be very good and our offense to be hitting well and maybe a little luck too. But it's not over, your right. We have a mountain to climb but it's not over because none of those 2nd WC teams are running away with anything.[/quote']

Not sure about the 23-13.

Minnesota will be in possession of the #2 wild card after tonight and while they are hot right now, they just don't scare me as a team. I could see them going .500ish the rest of the way.

Tampa is basically tied with us. If we play well, we will beat them enogh head to head to beat them out.

That leaves Texas and LA. Texas especially concerns me. It's pretty much essential we win the series this weekend so we are only a game or two back of them at MOST heading into September. And yeah, we probably will need some help, a few teams will have to play them tough the rest of the way.

LA looks like us right now... A team playing to less than the sum of its parts that needs to turn it on very soon or they will be dead, just like we need to.

I think it is confirmation bias. We expect it to happen, so we notice when it does. We don't notice as much when it doesn't.

When I know look at the time it seems like I see 9:11 noticeably more than any other time being repeated. Maybe that it what is happening with us for the O's. Or maybe it's because the season has been a lot of heart break. Either way I'd love to see less of it.

Archived