Is it ok to give up on Miguel Gonzalez?

weams

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No. One is horrible. The other is mediocre. However, the mediocre one has a better history with the team and had a modest contracat this year and an option. If Miguel stunk we could have sent him down or we could have sent him to the bullpen where he'd probably be serviceable. Can't say the same things about Ubaldo and is 26M 2 year contract.

Exactly this. It also makes little sense to claim his release was a cost cutting move and then go out and sign another mediocre pitcher (Gallardo) who was more expensive AND cost them a high draft pick.

Exactly this. It also makes little sense to claim his release was a cost cutting move and then go out and sign another mediocre pitcher (Gallardo) who was more expensive AND cost them a high draft pick.

Except that it didn't happen in that order. We signed Gallardo and then we cut Gonzalez weeks later when he looked like crap this spring.

I don't really understand your referring to the "claim his release was a cost cutting move." Do you have another explanation of why they cut a starting pitcher who had done well for them in the past, and had options? Of course it was a cost-cutting move!

Except that it didn't happen in that order. We signed Gallardo and then we cut Gonzalez weeks later when he looked like crap this spring.

I don't really understand your referring to the "claim his release was a cost cutting move." Do you have another explanation of why they cut a starting pitcher who had done well for them in the past, and had options? Of course it was a cost-cutting move!

A little revisionist history there by Il BuonO. It's ok though.

Good catch. I wasn't trying to revise anything though. Do you remember his last game in ST? He pitched pretty well vs a Yankees team with many regulars. I find it curious that a team who throw away a guy with an option when the guy they signed isn't a marked improvement. And neither is Jimenez, especially for team with as little depth as the Orioles have. I claim it was dumb!

Good catch. I wasn't trying to revise anything though. Do you remember his last game in ST? He pitched pretty well vs a Yankees team with many regulars. I find it curious that a team who throw away a guy with an option when the guy they signed isn't a marked improvement. And neither is Jimenez, especially for team with as little depth as the Orioles have. I claim it was dumb!

This was it.

It was against the Braves.

o

15 OUTS: 6 Groundouts (Including 2 Double Plays), 4 Strikeouts, 3 Flyouts

MIGUEL ANGEL GONZALEZ O(vs. BRAVES, 3/29) O[spring Training]

IP:. 5

H:;; 7 ll(1 Double, 6 Singles)

R:l) 1

BB: 0 *

SO: 4

Pitches: 75 (52 Strikes, 23 Balls)

* Gonzalez had 1 Hit Batsman

PITCHES BY INNING

91 (81 Strikes, 1 Balls)

16 (91 Strikes, 7 Balls)

27 (18 Strikes, 9 Balls)

11 (91 Strikes, 2 Balls)

12 (81 Strikes, 4 Balls)

This was it.

It was against the Braves.

Thanks. Man, the memory is failing. I checked his game log and he did have a decent start vs the Yankees two games prior to the game vs the Braves. 2 earned in 4 IP.

This gets back to RZ's post and the fact that he did have an option, a reasonable contract and a history with the team. Why the big push to sign Gallardo, who could only be considered a marginal upgrade, when it would cost a pick and much more money than Miggy was making? And I've never been a big supporter of his, but the DFA after a good performance didn't make sense especially since Buck (and Frobby) doesn't give much weight to ST results.

o

Gonzalez pitched well against the Nationals on June 9th, then got shellacked by the Tigers on June 14th.

For the season so far, he has a 4.74 ERA and a 1.534 WHIP in 8 starts for the White Sox.

I believe that it is still too premature to declare one way or another whether or not the decision to not retain him was a big mistake.

o

Gonzalez pitched well against the Nationals on June 9th, then got shellacked by the Tigers on June 14th.

For the season so far, he has a 4.74 ERA and a 1.534 WHIP in 8 starts for the White Sox.

I believe that it is still too premature to declare one way or another whether or not the decision to not retain him was a big mistake.

Rooting for him tomorrow night against Steven Wright and the Red Sox.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I'll be rooting for him tomorrow night, when he goes up against Steven Wright and the Red Sox.

Me too.

And the White Sox are my 2nd favorite team, as well.

White Sox ........ White Sox ........ Goooooooooooooo, White Sox !!!

Me too.

Same here. Gonzo is one of my most favorite ex-Orioles. And the White Sox are my 2nd favorite team. Goooooooooooo White Sox!!!!!

I'll be rooting for him tomorrow night, when he goes up against Steven Wright and the Red Sox.

Me too.

Same here. Gonzo is one of my most favorite ex-Orioles. And the White Sox are my 2nd favorite team. Goooooooooooo White Sox!!!!!

Gonzalez was excellent tonight.

Unfortunately, the White Sox' offense was not.

The game is tied at 1-1, heading into the bottom of the 9th inning.

Archived