Is it ok to give up on Miguel Gonzalez?

weams

Gonzo might be yet another DD mistake on the pitching end. I'm not going to say that it is definitively yet because I want a larger sample size but with no pitching depth I'd of loved for him to have had the chance to rework things in the minors.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gonzo might be yet another DD mistake on the pitching end. I'm not going to say that it is definitively yet because I want a larger sample size but with no pitching depth I'd of loved for him to have had the chance to rework things in the minors.

We know he's better than Wright and Jimenez.

Even if he regresses and bombs out, where would we be with him starting over Jimenez or Wright? The pitching decisions by this gm have been astoundingly bad. abysmal. I'm running short of adjectives and I'm tired of hearing about our major league success. If DD hadn't made one mistake after another on pitching, we would be a favorite to win it all instead of scuffling to make a wild card.

Another brilliant move by Duquette.

Not sure this one's solely on Duquette. Buck and his staff had all spring to evaluate him. I'm sure they had input here to say that not only was he not one of our best 25, he wasn't likely to be of much help during the season.

Either way, it's looking like a terrible decision.

This spring training was really odd. It seems like 2 huge mis-evaluations took place.

1. Gonzo being cut because the staff thought he was done

2. Kim almost being cut because they thought he was not being MLB ready

My guess is that Buck will have some type of plan in place to make sure this doesn't happen again next year.

I think that maybe the way the Bud Norris thing played out last year had a bearing on what they thought Gonzo might be this year. I think Buck thought Gonzo was headed down the same path. I don't know what the answer is, but knowing Buck, I'm sure he will try to address it.

I was clearly against the release of Miggy the day it happened. In fact, I was shocked. Yes, he had a bad spring. Most all of our pitchers did. Yes, he had a bit off his fastball, but he did well in his last start in the spring and most people felt he had made the team with it. I said then that the Orioles made a mistake and that they will regret it. They did. This one is on DD as it was primarily a budget decision given that he was still optionable.

Please keep in mind, most posters in OH, felt Gonzo was done, if you took into consideration, his very poor last half, ontop of a bad ST.

Of course, now, its easy to play monday morning quarterback.

I thought he was done. He has a 7 run and 1 run game as his last two games.

I was clearly against the release of Miggy the day it happened. In fact, I was shocked. Yes, he had a bad spring. Most all of our pitchers did. Yes, he had a bit off his fastball, but he did well in his last start in the spring and most people felt he had made the team with it. I said then that the Orioles made a mistake and that they will regret it. They did. This one is on DD as it was primarily a budget decision given that he was still optionable.

I saw him at 87 last night. Maybe he got better later in the game.

I saw him at 87 last night. Maybe he got better later in the game.

Brooks says:

Pitch Type / Velo (Max)

FA (Fastball) 93.2 (95.4)

SI (Sinker) 93.9 (94.5)

CU (Curveball) 78.8 (80.0)

FC (Cutter) 88.3 (90.9)

FS (Splitter) 86.8 (88.9)

Brooks says:

Pitch Type / Velo (Max)

FA (Fastball) 93.2 (95.4)

SI (Sinker) 93.9 (94.5)

CU (Curveball) 78.8 (80.0)

FC (Cutter) 88.3 (90.9)

FS (Splitter) 86.8 (88.9)

So he did improve from where he was through the 3rd inning. According to the tv gun. Or they might have been calling his cutter a fastball for multiple innings.

IIRC, Gonzo was released in part because the Orioles wouldve had to pay him 5 million dollars or release him and pay substantially less. Money had to have been something to do with it.

Sure, money had a role in it.

But, so did going 2-6 in the 2nd half of last season, with a 6.14 ERA and 1.66 WHIP.

Throw in a bad spring and a dip in his velocity, some thought he was done for.

Please keep in mind, most posters in OH, felt Gonzo was done, if you took into consideration, his very poor last half, ontop of a bad ST.

Of course, now, its easy to play monday morning quarterback.

Most of us also felt it was a poor move to get rid of the only meaningful starting pitching depth. Remember, the O's went into this season starting Mike Wright with confidence knowing that Gallardo had a bum shoulder and Ubaldo stinks/stunk.

It's common sense. It was then, it is now.

Bud Norris also looked terrible beyond all comprehension last year in ST. And got worse as ST went along. No improvements. Yet he stuck. Granted $9m (or whatever it was) > $5m (or whatever it was) and the logic behind saving a few dollars with Gonzo, but it was a shortsighted move.

Duquette said starting pitching is his priority, but we're going on 4 out of 5 years with a starting rotation at the bottom of all of MLB. And this year it's the absolute worst it's been in Duquette's tenure.

Archived