Dylan Bundy Updates

accinfo

Dylan Bundy threw his third bullpen session yesterday with the same impressive results. He expanded the session from 20 to 25 pitches, again throwing only fastballs.

"It went very well again today," said director of player development Brian Graham, who's down in Sarasota. "He threw really good. The ball came out of his hand really good. All fastballs, but he's throwing strikes. The ball has good velocity and life."

The Orioles won't map out the next steps for Bundy - whether it's pitching in the Arizona Fall League or winter ball or shutting down again and resting - until he's able to mix in his slider, curveball and changeup in the bullpen sessions.

"We haven't made any determination about what's next," Graham said. "All we know is it's going really well. His arm feels great, he feels great. That's all very positive.

"Let's see how it continues to go. He still has a ways to go to get those pitches where they need to be."

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2015/10/wondering-about-the-composition-of-the-bullpen-in-2016.html

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More encouraging news from Roch.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2015/10/remembering-jose-bautistas-brief-stay-with-the-orioles.html

Dylan Bundy has another bullpen session today in Sarasota. He's up to 30 pitches, an increase of 10 from his starting point, and is mixing in his changeup with his fastball.

Bundy continues to make progress and the Orioles remain encouraged.

"Mix in his slider, curveball and changeup"

Notice no mention of his cutter? :scratchchinhmm:

His slider is his cutter. Very hard to throw both without one morphing into the other. Similar wrist action and grip. Cutter=slider but you are behind the ball more. This is solely based on personal experience and tinkering btw. I am quite confident you can find a report online somewhere that says Bundy threw a slider and a cutter, but rarely will you find someone who actually experienced seeing him throw both types of pitches....intentionally.

His slider is his cutter. Very hard to throw both without one morphing into the other. Similar wrist action and grip. Cutter=slider but you are behind the ball more. This is solely based on personal experience and tinkering btw. I am quite confident you can find a report online somewhere that says Bundy threw a slider and a cutter, but rarely will you find someone who actually experienced seeing him throw both types of pitches....intentionally.

Eno Sarris (Fangraphs) just wrote a piece on Colin McHugh were McHugh talks about throwing 2 distinctly separate cutters. One of which acts as a slider.

People confuse the cutter and the cut fastball. They are not the same, but the term cutter is used interchangeably.

A cutter is a slider with the elbow behind the ball instead of in front of it. The action is much the same as the slider, but there is less strain on the elbow. That's the pitch Jerry Reuss threw for the Dodgers, and my son threw in college after being taught it by Brian Holton (who learned it from Reuss).

A cut fastball is simply a 4-seem fastball that moves laterally because the wrist is turned, or cut, rather than pronated as with a typical fastball. That's the pitch Mariano Rivera threw.

I don't know which one Bundy throws.

People confuse the cutter and the cut fastball. They are not the same, but the term cutter is used interchangeably.

A cutter is a slider with the elbow behind the ball instead of in front of it. The action is much the same as the slider, but there is less strain on the elbow. That's the pitch Jerry Reuss threw for the Dodgers, and my son threw in college after being taught it by Brian Holton (who learned it from Reuss).

A cut fastball is simply a 4-seem fastball that moves laterally because the wrist is turned, or cut, rather than pronated as with a typical fastball. That's the pitch Mariano Rivera threw.

I don't know which one Bundy throws.

Thank you very much for that info.

There’s another twist that comes if you take a closer look at Peterson’s comments: “What happens is you start to get off to the side of the baseball (with your grip) and then you’re no longer consistently behind the baseball.” There’s a belief in baseball that there are two pitches commonly called the cutter. One, called the ‘grip’ cutter, or the ‘cut fastball’ focuses mostly on grip: you hold the ball like a slider, but you throw it like a fastball. You might point to Mariano Rivera, as Melewski did, for a prototype version of the pitch.

The other, called the ‘load’ cutter, or the ‘baby slider,’ has a release to it that is not unlike a slider. Typically, this pitch comes in slower than a regular fastball and slower than the ‘grip’ cutter. Sometimes it has more depth to it than a ‘grip ‘ cutter. And, since Duquette poo-pooed mention of Rivera’s cutter as a fastball, and Peterson emphasized the fact that pitchers get off to the side of the ball, it’s completely believable that they were talking about the baby slider when they denigrated the cutter.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/do-cutters-kill-fastball-velocity/

Similar to Jake Arrieta. Hard to go off of FanGraphs, but he throws his slider a variety of different ways (even as a cutter). And his use of it has dramatically increased since he's been the Cubs. It's probably his most effective pitch. He can vary the speed from the low 80s to the mid 90s. Something he NEVER was able to do with the O's. He's also using his sinker much more with the Cubs. All the while maintaining a 4 seamer that can touch 97.

So not sure Rick Peterson's philosophy on the cutter unless it's all during the developmental stages. Although have we seen ANY fruits of that philosophy?

And I can testify that my son's velocity stopped increasing after he learned the cutter. Once he started getting on the side of the ball, he lost the knack for the good fastball he'd thrown since he started throwing a baseball at age 5. We tried a lot of stuff together, but he never regained the ability to stay behind the ball and pronate properly. That was a shame.

AFL bound.

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2015/10/dylan-bundy-is-going-to-pitch-in-the-arizona-fall-league.html

Dr. James Andrews cleared Bundy last month to start a throwing program after he was shut down with discomfort caused by calcification in the Teres minor muscle behind his right shoulder. He's been on a throwing progression in Sarasota, Fla., that has reached the point where he is set to throw live batting practice. After that, he would face hitters in a game situation, and that will apparently come in the AFL.

Archived