Dylan Bundy Updates

accinfo

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's pretty doubtful that Bundy could approach that total as a reliever in today's game. No reliever in MLB exceeded 84 IP this year. The last time a reliever exceeded 100 innings was 2006 (Scott Proctor, Yankees). Rhodes maxed out at 95.1 in 1997.

Maybe they could put Bundy in the rotation at some point during the year to build up some innings.

Well this is where they need to get creative. With so many starters lucky to get through six innings nowadays, maybe they can use Bundy two times a week to finish off games with three inning stints. If he gets into 40 games a year (1 every four games) he can pitch 120 innings this way. It also saves the bullpen because you are not running guys out there so often in non critical games. I believe it can be pulled off if you can get away from being slave to the one innings reliever concept used so often nowadays.

Bundy is a unique situation that calls for managing outside the box.

Well this is where they need to get creative. With so many starters lucky to get through six innings nowadays, maybe they can use Bundy two times a week to finish off games with three inning stints. If he gets into 40 games a year (1 every four games) he can pitch 120 innings this way. It also saves the bullpen because you are not running guys out there so often in non critical games. I believe it can be pulled off if you can get away from being slave to the one innings reliever concept used so often nowadays.

I hear you, but they're trying to win games, and can't make that a second priority to getting Bundy to some innings goal. I'm betting Bundy ends up getting some spot starts to bolster his innings total.

That is some good outside-the-box thinking, but that may be difficult to put into place. We are likely to have guys designated for the seventh, eighth and ninth so it may be difficult to get Bundy IP in close games where we have a lead or when our SP are going through a good stretch. Bundy's use would also be dependent on how effective he is - can't mess up things for the rest of the 25 man roster - especially if Bundy isn't very effective. IMO, it is going to be difficult to get Bundy an appropriate number of IP if he doesn't start occasionally.

I'm with you on this. If he's throwing like the old Bundy there should be plenty of ways to get innings for him and he should be the best option in a lot of them.

Archived