What Team Will Chris Davis Be Playing for in 2016?

TonySoprano

Who Signs Davis?  

112 members have voted

1. 1. Who Signs Davis?

Not that I'm really arguing your point, but the mid-to-late 1970s Orioles lost a ton of talent to free agency and pending free agency, plugged in band-aids, and just kept on winning 90+ games a year. They lost Reggie (HOFer), Grich (near-HOFer), Baylor (All Star, MVP), Garland (20-game winner), Ross Grimsley (20-game winner), in a 2-3 year period. They signed essentially no free agents until the early 80s. The farm system was more productive up until about 1981, but still. That's a ton of talent and zero free agents to replace them.
Losing Grimsley and Garland alone was going to crush the club.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
While the Astros are probably ready for a big payroll spike, they have the minor league player of the year AJ Reed looming at 1B, and Gattis, Gomez, Springer for next year's OF.

Gattis could DH, but Davis hasn't played much LF, and Springer's likely better than him in RF. Reed I've read has no defensive flexibility at all.

Seems like Houston will be tougher in the pitcher market.

After using Alfaro to get Hamels, I could see Rangers interested in Wieters.

AJ Reed is no Chris Davis.

If you lock up CD you have a good trade chip.

Maybe not. But the O's also won with a lot of players who'd get mocked as el-cheapo Duquette specials like Benny Ayala and John Lowenstein, Pat Kelly, Larry Harlow, Kiko Garcia. They platooned all over the place with guys other teams wouldn't play.
Well, the band-aid approach didn't work in 2015. Do you truly think that it will work in 2016?

Well, the band-aid approach didn't work in 2015. Do you truly think that it will work in 2016?

I think it's unlikely that they lose all of their pending free agents, replace them with undervalued assets and platoon players, and then win the division in 2016. But a combination of a few key acquisitions, some bounceback seasons, some growth and a bunch of "band-aids" could make for a winning team.

I think it's unlikely that they lose all of their pending free agents, replace them with undervalued assets and platoon players, and then win the division in 2016. But a combination of a few key acquisitions, some bounceback seasons, some growth and a bunch of "band-aids" could make for a winning team.

Seems almost like the perfect storm. Too many puzzle pieces to fit all in one season. Could happen but don't think so.

In this era of the bullpen sometimes taking up 40% of your roster, it's awfully hard to go the duct-tape way with the more than one or two positions. Even with the way the O's maneuver, there are only so many roster spots.

Losing Grimsley and Garland alone was going to crush the club.

Maybe. Garland was an odd case, he didn't even start for the O's until May of his 20-win season. A number of his wins were in relief. Then he was ridden like a rented mule for four months (14 complete games in 2/3rds of a season coming off a year where he pitched 87 innings of long relief). Pitched well but his peripherals were just okay. Knowing what we know now he'd be a huge regression and injury candidate, not unlike Mark Fydrich. Grimsley was kind of similar without the relief/starting transition. He's one of those 70s guys I don't get - he struck out 2.2 batters/nine his last year with the O's. Then about the same the next year in Montreal when he won 20. He must have either been a massive groundball pitcher, or maybe you could get away with that in a pitcher's park/league with a bunch of little infielders in every lineup.

Seems almost like the perfect storm. Too many puzzle pieces to fit all in one season. Could happen but don't think so.

We'll see. They have a very solid core with Jones, Schoop, Machado. The pitching is just a year removed from being very good, there is some talent there. Duquette and Buck seem to have a knack for putting together an effective pen. I think it's premature to write them off.

If anything, I suspect that the Mets would fork over a lot of money to keep Yoenis Cespedes with them before looking to splurge elsewhere for offense, such as Chris Davis.

Their (the Mets') offense was like day and night before and after acquiring him on July 31st.

Since Cespedes appears to be a very good fit with them already, I would tend to lean toward them going with "A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush" philosophy.

I'm not necessarily saying that the Mets WILL open their wallets to keep Cespedes ...... just that that would probably be the first place that they would go to if they were inclined to do so.

Lefty-Righty combo

Oh, I'm all in favor of some band-aids. I don't believe that O's management should just go out and spend willy-nilly. Look how spending all that money helped (?) the Gnats and the Blowsawx. I believe in spending wisely. But we do need to do some spending.

The Mets. They need runs to go with pitching.

If anything, I suspect that the Mets would fork over a lot of money to keep Yoenis Cespedes with them before looking to splurge elsewhere for offense, such as Chris Davis.

Their (the Mets') offense was like day and night before and after acquiring him on July 31st.

Since Cespedes appears to be a very good fit with them already, I would tend to lean toward them going with "A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush" philosophy.

I'm not necessarily saying that the Mets WILL open their wallets to keep Cespedes ...... just that that would probably be the first place that they would go to if they were inclined to do so.

Lefty-Righty combo.

There is some doubt as to whether or not the Mets will spring for Cespedes for 2016 and beyond.

There is almost certainly no way that they will spring for both Cespedes and Davis.

Again, I suspect that if they were going to splurge for one of them, it would be Cespedes, since he is already there and has already shown to be a good fit for them.

They could choose to let Cespedes go and sign Davis, but the likelihood of the Mets signing both of them is almost nil.

More to the point of keeping him. It sends a message to AJ and Manny that we want to contend. They know damn well the band-aids didn't work last year and it sends a message to them that they are committed to being better. I can't see losing CD as a commitment to the team. If this doesn't pan out, I think we can look to be losing Manny and AJ in the next few years.

The step back... the fall is too devastating to the team long term. We have to look at this as THE priority right now. Yes a TOR starter is needed, that hasn't changed in 5 years, but CD is not up for debate here. Bite the bullet, drop the bucks.

Archived