The importance of a J.J. Hardy bounce-back

Frobby

It ain't there with Davis, Schoop, Hardy and Machado our starting infield and Joseph catching? And Jonesy has improved in CF too.

I'll give you the starting pitching though. Could be really really bad.

Do you expect Davis, Schoop, Hardy and Machado to be as good in 2016 as they were in 2014?

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you expect Davis, Schoop, Hardy and Machado to be as good in 2016 as they were in 2014?

No, but I expect them to be better than 2015 given the health state of Hardy and Schoop (knock on wood), and that should qualify as well above average.

• 3 weeks later...

You mean 2013 right? 2014 was the year Davis had a horrible season at the plate and Machado missed half the games with the knee issues. This team would be in major trouble if Davis and Machado had similar to worse seasons than 2014.

I still look at anything Hardy gives us with his bat as basically a bonus. His real value is clearly tied to his glove and his leadership. And yes I realize we are paying $12.5M for it, but he was worth 3.3 WAR in 2014 without really doing much at the plate either.

As bad as Hardy was last year he still seemed to make a difference if he played or didn't.

O's record with Hardy out 16-32

O's record when Hardy played 65- 49

The infield defense definitely suffered when he was out. Even Manny didn't seem the same and was making a lot of errors when Hardy was out. Sometimes there really is such a thing as a calming effect.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived