Why Is Jason Garcia Being PidgeonHolded For the Bullpen?

JayThomas

Why is Jason Garcia not being looked at as a potential starter? Did we really go through all that Rule 5 drama for a guy that we don't even envision as a potential starter? (And) why not? He's young enough to develop his secondary pitches in the minors. We have plenty of RH relief pitchers coming up. Why artificially cap Garcia's potential?

He flamed out once already as a starter. At A level. If he can have success in the bullpen that is still a real nice coup for DD and the Orioles. That said, I wouldn't read anything into AFL. They could still go in a different direction once the year starts.

How exactly did he flame out?

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I would say that Garcia has just has much, if not more, upside than David Hess. They are both 22. They'll probably both be in Bowie's rotation next year. I don't think anyone is selling Garcia short. Other than the whole DD loves rule 5 guys crowd.

Hopefully one of our guys in the upper minors turns into a quality mlb SP.

Bundy

Wright

Wilson

Miranda

Garcia

Hess

I hope you are right that Garcia will be in Bowie's rotation. Next year. I'm really tired of the phrase "could move fast out of the bullpen" being applied to guys who are <=23 and/or with very little professional experience and coaching. That's simply not enough time to determine that they can't develop their secondary pitches.

I'm thinking of Melewski's blog on Tanner Scott at the moment. Why is Tanner Scott, drafted in 2014, already being seen as a late inning reliever. Is our development staff that poor that we've already given up on him developing secondaries?

I hope you are right that Garcia will be in Bowie's rotation. Next year. I'm really tired of the phrase "could move fast out of the bullpen" being applied to guys who are <=23 and/or with very little professional experience and coaching. That's simply not enough time to determine that they can't develop their secondary pitches.

I'm thinking of Melewski's blog on Tanner Scott at the moment. Why is Tanner Scott, drafted in 2014, already being seen as a late inning reliever. Is our development staff that poor that we've already given up on him developing secondaries?

No man, if he was someone who would have been easy to develop, don't you think a HS pitcher with a 92-95 MPH fastball would have been drafted higher?

Be happy he was able to add a few more MPH to his FB and get your value.

Archived