"You know we are gonna participate in the Rule 5 Draft."(OF Rickard from Tampa)

weams

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I apologize if this has been talked about already.

Why did the O's draft guys from the Rule 5, when they are forced to carry Bundy on the roster this season?

Is this maybe because they feel that they will be able to restructure Bundy's contract?

They can't do anything about Bundy's lack of options.

As for why they selected a rule V player...that is what they do. They have done it the prior four seasons and ultimately controlled the player they selected in 80% of the cases.

They can't do anything about Bundy's lack of options.

As for why they selected a rule V player...that is what they do. They have done it the prior four seasons and ultimately controlled the player they selected in 80% of the cases.

Yea the feud between Buck and Duquette over Garcia taking a spot.

So basically you think we may have Bundy AND a Rule 5?

"Why not?"

With the Bundy situation, there is no way your keeping him and a rule 5 on the roster all year. Unless that parking lot pot-hole decides to pop up again, I can't see Buck liking that strategy much.

At this point, the Orioles simply are taking a shot. What you are talking about isn't decided until April. If the guy earns a spot, great. If not, he gets sent back to Tampa for $25K. Bundy will most likely start on the DL anyway. There is no reason to be up in arms about this today.

"Why not?"

With the Bundy situation, there is no way your keeping him and a rule 5 on the roster all year. Unless that parking lot pot-hole decides to pop up again, I can't see Buck liking that strategy much

Trade Bundy and others for Tyson Ross. Then, i would smile.

I'd say bundy is in a different scenario than a rule 5 guy. There is no way for them to get him to the minors. He has more talent than any of the previous rule 5 guys. If he's not on the DL, they will use him as an arm out of the pen. At this point they need to see him pitch. It's not like Garcia where they can hide him in the hopes of him being a regular at AAA next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Why not?"

With the Bundy situation, there is no way your keeping him and a rule 5 on the roster all year. Unless that parking lot pot-hole decides to pop up again, I can't see Buck liking that strategy much

Trade Bundy and others for Tyson Ross. Then, i would smile.

Knowing the Orioles, if Bundy is not pitching and has a hang nail, he will be on the DL for 3 months. Same with Rickard. Tendonitis or any other small injury means you are out for 2 months if you are a guy they want to keep.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• I'm honestly starting to get worried about guys like Adley and our prospects. If these guys don't pan out we aren't going to be a successful franchise for a while.  There's no reason why the offense should be this bad right now. 
    • Say what you will about Mouncastle's consistency at the plate. Compared to anyone else on the team he's by far our best fielding 1st baseman. Not even close. Every short hop with O'Hearn is an adventure.
    • I'm not necessarily going to buy that Holliday and Mayo should be expected to struggle this much. Jackson Merrill hasn't.   Jackson Chourio hasn't.   It's not automatic that guys have to go through a period where they are hitting around .100 and striking out more than half the time.   Lots of good players come up, have some ups and downs, but are not THAT bad.
    • Sure does...but I believe he was acquired for 2025 so I won't make any judgment till June or so.
    • We don't need his bat, we are doing just fine.
    • For me, winning the division is the greatest accomplishment left in the game. When I was growing up, four teams would qualify for the playoffs: in each league, the best team in the east and the best in the west would face off in a championship series, and the winner would go to the World Series.  Winning the division back then was the due reward for playing great ball all season long. That's how it still should be. That's the whole problem with the current playoff system, in a nutshell. Winning a division after playing 162 games should mean a lot.  As for this year's Orioles, I ceased to be disappointed in them sometime in late July or so. Instead, I regard them as a promising work-in-progress whose best days lie in the years ahead. They are kind of like the Houston Astros just when they started to get good but still weren't a world-class team.
    • I can't help but wonder if our hitting coaches basically just do one thing:   preach the launch angle approach that Elias has determined that leads to optimal overall results.   Don't worry about strikeouts.   Emphasis on doing the most damage when you swing (vs just trying to put the ball in play, hit 'em where they ain't, etc). And that approach, taken as a whole, DOES lead to better overall results, and I believe it IS the correct holistic approach for an organization to take in drafting, developing, and coaching players? But if it is the only thing our hitting coaches know how to teach, could that also be a problem?    When a batter is in a slump, maybe he should be less concerned with focusing on the amount of damage he does per swing, but jsut with putting the ball in play to make something happen.    Could there be a psychological effect?   Players and ex-players will talk abouit a bloop hit helping them get out of a slump.   Football players will talk about going immediately back to a receiver who drops a ball to boost his confidence and "keep him in the game". And most "old school" baseball coaches believed in these things, and used them to help guys get out of slumps.   Maybe there is still some wisdom in that approach, not as a primary approach, but to help a guy get his confidence back, start seeing the ball better, etc.   And maybe the guys we hired aren't able to, even temporarily, change what they are telling guys to help them when they are struggling. Just speculating.   Grasping for answers at the astonishing lack of hitting we are seeing on so many nights.   
  • Popular Contributors