The Best Way to Have a Chance at Machado Long Term

brianod

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We don't have much depth at all in the minors and between the haul we would receive from a Machado trade and the potential draft picks we'll get next year we'd be in a better place. I'd go for four top prospects.

The typical trade of a near-peak HOF caliber player ends up with getting back several guys who you hope will combine for similar production in 2, 3, 4 years but usually don't. I'd assume a Manny trade would allow the O's to have a 15th-ranked farm system in short order, but cut 6+ wins from the Orioles' total for multiple years.

The typical trade of a near-peak HOF caliber player ends up with getting back several guys who you hope will combine for similar production in 2, 3, 4 years but usually don't. I'd assume a Manny trade would allow the O's to have a 15th-ranked farm system in short order, but cut 6+ wins from the Orioles' total for multiple years.

And yet, if he won't sign long term and you are convinced that the team won't contend in the time he is with the team, it could still be the right move to make.

How much are wins 77-82 worth?

And yet, if he won't sign long term and you are convinced that the team won't contend in the time he is with the team, it could still be the right move to make.

How much are wins 77-82 worth?

If we're fielding a 77-win team I think I'd rather have a HOFer to root for rather than some guys boosting the Baysox and Tides' totals on their way to becoming decent MLB regulars in a few years.

I know your path is more logical, but if Manny is intent on going to the Yanks or Dodgers or something I really think it's going to impact my baseball fandom in a bad way.

Get real.

I've never been run over by a truck.

Nobody I know has ever been run over by a truck.

MM has blown BOTH his knees out.

Reality.

My mother was run over by a truck as a teenager, seriously. Couldn't get out of bed for months. Still has back problems :(

I've been saying for a few years that if the O's want to keep Manny, they have to move him to SS. Today, Roch quoted Bobby Dickerson as saying this -

I know in his mind he wants to play shortstop," Dickerson said. "He gets bored at third base and he doesn't always understand how many different ways he impacts the game at third base as much as he thinks he would be impacting the game at shortstop.

If they really want to keep him, first put him in the position he wants to play.

I've been saying for a few years that if the O's want to keep Manny, they have to move him to SS. Today, Roch quoted Bobby Dickerson as saying this -

If they really want to keep him, first put him in the position he wants to play.

Well, Hardy's here, so that's not really an option.

You're that good? Ever heard of Brooks Robinson, Mike Schmidt, Eddie Mathews? Morons.

You're that good? Ever heard of Brooks Robinson, Mike Schmidt, Eddie Mathews? Morons.

They weren't shortstops.

Plenty of shortstops move to 3B late in their careers. Maybe it would help JJ stay healthy. We do know that one of the negotiating points in the Hardy deal was that he wanted to be assured that he would remain at SS. Maybe it's time for him to move.

Make the move contingent on Manny signing an extension.

Archived