Duquette talks (Orioles to spend extensive resources in FA)

weams

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2015/12/duquette-on-non-tender-deadline-and-oday-plus-note-on-trumbo.html

"We're taking a look at that. We're working on that over the next couple of days," Duquette said.

"I expect that we have a couple that we consider for non-tender. We'll try to get it resolved tomorrow afternoon sometime."

Here's that list again with the projected salaries via MLBTradeRumors.com:

duquette-showalter-mic-sidebar.jpgBrian Matusz - $3.4 million

Nolan Reimold - $900,000

Paul Janish - $600,000

Chris Tillman - $6.2 million

Miguel Gonzalez - $4.9 million

Ryan Flaherty - $1.5 million

Zach Britton - $6.9 million

Vance Worley - $2.7 million

Brad Brach - $1.1 million

Manny Machado - $5.9 million

David Lough - $800,000

Meanwhile, the Orioles retain interest in Mariners first baseman/outfielder Mark Trumbo and have discussed a trade, according to a source. CBSSports.com reported the interest earlier today.

Trumbo is a non-tender candidate, but the Orioles expect him to receive a contract offer before the deadline. Therefore, they would need to work out a deal.

Duquette won't comment on specific players, but Trumbo fits part of the Orioles' shopping list.

"We're looking for outfielders, we're looking for first base," Duquette said.

Jerry Crasnick of ESPN was told by a person with knowledge of the Cardinals' agenda that the team's reported interest in Chris Davis is "overblown."

Advice: The Cardinals have reportedly been in touch with Davis' agent, Scott Boras, and value his versatility, but Crasnick hears that he's not the top priority for GM John Mozeliak. Of course, the club also has interest in re-signing Jason Heyward and adding another starting pitcher. Regardless, the 29-year-old slugger appears likely to land a contract well north of $100 million this offseason

I have to think the thin market might benefit the Orioles.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Duquette on Pena: “Pena gives us C depth and should help our club in 2016.” He's hit 40 HRs in 684 AAA at-bats last 2 years.</p>— Steve Melewski (@masnSteve) <a href="

">December 3, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

B

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Duquette on Pena: “Pena gives us C depth and should help our club in 2016.” He's hit 40 HRs in 684 AAA at-bats last 2 years.</p>— Steve Melewski (@masnSteve) <a href="
">December 3, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

In the PCL ....just worth mentioning.

• 2 months later...

I've given credit and I've been critical.

DD, way to cap off a offseason of spending. He spent the Tysons galleria money then waited out for the prices to drop on some solid players for his "bargain" specials.

Going to be a fun season. Everyone picking the O's to finish last; you know Buck and the players will use that as extra motivation.

DD' date=' way to cap off a offseason of spending. He spent the Tysons galleria money then waited out for the prices to drop on some solid players for his "bargain" specials.

Going to be a fun season. Everyone picking the O's to finish last; you know Buck and the players will use that as extra motivation.[/quote']

I told y'all that we weren't done yet. Love what we've done and how Dan has signed them to team friendly deals

Sent from Neverneverland using James Hetfield's voice

DD' date=' way to cap off a offseason of spending. He spent the Tysons galleria money then waited out for the prices to drop on some solid players for his "bargain" specials.

Going to be a fun season. Everyone picking the O's to finish last; you know Buck and the players will use that as extra motivation.[/quote']

I've been extremely critical of Angelos in the past for all the penny pinching. I'm not sure what has changed this year but I like it. Kudos to Duquette as I like all of Kim, Rickard, Trumbo, and Fowler. I'm okay with Gallardo but would have rather had Kazmir. I'm happy to see ODay and Davis back although I hate the contract and believe Peter was bidding against himself.

Great offseason....best in too many years.

Some of my favorite responses:

What is Derrek Lee up to these days? Think he wants to play first again? Sarcasm

Still wondering.

We should be pursuing FA SP. There are a ton out there. The only landmines who are likely to get significantly overpaid are Cueto and Gallardo. We come away with just about anybody else from the top or middle of the FA SP class and I'll be pretty happy.

Yeah, I did not see that SP market spending spree coming.

It appears Dan is interested in two FA starters.

Neither did weams, or DD.

I can't imagine a world in which Baltimore spends upwards of $300 MM in an offseason.
I can't imagine a word where Baltimore spends $140 million.

What's the total now? $270 something?

Pretty encouraging if he's being honest here.

I would be happy with bringing back Davis or signing a Upton/Gordon plus a # 2/# 3 type starter to replace Chen as a starting point. That brings us at least back to where we were in 2015 and then trading for another OFer and signing a # 5 type with some upside for depth could add up to a very successful offseason.

I'd say we did even more than this, considering Fowler and Trumbo as well (although Gallardo's not a #2/3).

Just saying that we all assume that MW taking the QO means the O's won't be able to do what they originally intended. We assume that because we assume that PA is some inflexible Uncle Scrooge who will not budge from his line in the sand budget. All I am saying is that maybe PA has actually enjoyed the past 4 years of competitive baseball. Perhaps he has enjoyed not being viewed as an incompetent owner whose team cannot get its stuff straight. Perhaps he has learned some lessons from the past like we all do. I am as guilty as anyone of blasting PA. I just think we should wait to see what the final tally is before assuming the man won't give DD the resources to compete.

If it turns out that they do not give DD adequate resources to fill the needs, there will be a whole season of bad baseball to gripe about it. As negative as I initially felt about MW coming back, I am gonna choose to stay at least semi-optimistic that the franchise we have seen the past 4 years will not completely turn back into a pumpkin. If they do, like I said, I reserve the right to gripe about it later :)

Giving Sir_Loin a run for his money. You have a source who knows Angelos?

Interesting. What I take away from it is that the Wieters deal is not as big of a factor to the O's offseason strategy. Maybe they are looking at budget over a 3-4 year period, and as long as they are not committed in future years they may be OK going over budget this year for somebody they like.

Right on. I wonder if the 3-4 year budget is still the case, or a $150MM payroll is the new standard.

Archived