Matt Kemp/Tyson Ross

Spy Fox

Multiple sources are saying the Padres are shopping these two players.

Would you have any interest in the two of them as a package?

Kemp has remained a productive hitter but is a bad fielder and of course has the big contract-- 4/87 remaining. Ross has been very good the past three years for the Padres, and is entering his second arbitration season after making around $5M last year.

Both players fit positional needs for the O's. But of course the question is, how much would the Padres be asking for them and how much would we be willing to give up? The answers to both would depend on how much of Kemp's contract the Padres will pay.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Multiple sources are saying the Padres are shopping these two players.

Would you have any interest in the two of them as a package?

Kemp has remained a productive hitter but is a bad fielder and of course has the big contract-- 4/87 remaining. Ross has been very good the past three years for the Padres, and is entering his second arbitration season after making around $5M last year.

Both players fit positional needs for the O's. But of course the question is, how much would the Padres be asking for them and how much would we be willing to give up? The answers to both would depend on how much of Kemp's contract the Padres will pay.

Padres won't pay anything. That's why you get Ross.

I'm intrigued by the idea, but ultimately two things really work against it. Kemp's contract is just too burdensome, and I suspect that Wieters is now penciled in to 25-35 games at DH. I wouldn't let Kemp anywhere near the OF except during warmups and there's no point in having on the team except as DH - a position I think he would be very good at.

I'm intrigued by the idea, but ultimately two things really work against it. Kemp's contract is just too burdensome, and I suspect that Wieters is now penciled in to 25-35 games at DH. I wouldn't let Kemp anywhere near the OF except during warmups and there's no point in having on the team except as DH - a position I think he would be very good at.

I don't think would be happy at DH even if it was an option.

I live out in SD. Stay away from this deal.

Kemp is totally not worth it and that contract will cripple anyone big spending averse like the Os. Ross isn't enough of a difference maker to eat that kemp salary either...he has the pitches but he can struggle with consistency and then you also have to factor in the AL lineups.

Then I hope they're happy with a 22M a year player putting up half a win a year.

The Dodgers pay $3.5 million each year for the remainder of his contract, so it's closer to $18 million. Still a lot, of course. One big key to Kemp is not allowing him to own a glove. Take him out of Petco and put him in the AL at DH in a hitter-friendly park and I think he would be worth much more than a half win a year. Is he a good fit for the Orioles? Probably not when all is said and done. I can see there being some interest from AL teams though.

How bad is Kemp as a corner OFer? Didn't he win a gold glove in center some years back? I know he's had some issues with his hip or back, but the guy stole 40 bases a few years back and even had 12 last year so his legs must still be somewhat functional. I haven't seen him play enough to make an assessment on his defense but would like to get the opinion of someone who has. He started out really slow last year and still put up a .755 OPS. I think he is a .800ish player in Camden Yards. Maybe you move Ubaldo to offset some of the salary. Could make sense if they are willing to send other cost controlled talent over our way.

I agree with Spyfox that this shouldn't be option A, but creative trades like this may be needed to make the necessary upgrades that this team needs.

Archived