Offseason Rumors and Deals Around MLB

neveradoubt

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From Pinstripe Alley

Bird wasn't projected to be in the starting lineup but I have to think he was set up for a lot of PT at 1B/DH spelling Teixeira and Rodriguez. He was to be their best young bat.

This injury is a huge blow to both prospect fans and to the Yankees' depth. Without Bird there as a safety net for Teixeira in particular, the options are not pleasant if Teixeira misses time again. Dustin Ackley and Chase Headley can play some first base to back him up, but the Yankees could turn to the free agent market. There aren't many attractive options who would likely be interested in playing behind Teixeira, so they will likely just have to deal with the loss of depth internally.

Gotta think Pedro Alvarez's agent was on the phone with the Yankees this afternoon.

Of course, Boras will use it as a way to help bump up his price, but I don't see Alvarez as a fit in New York. They already have A-Rod and Tex at DH and 1B and while neither are the epitome of health, I'd have to think Alvarez would prefer a spot where he'd be the primary DH or 1B (at least against RHP) to a place where he's relying on an injury for playing time. Not to mention, for DH, there are other options like Beltran already on the team.

That was my thought. And we got Efren. It was a labrum tear BTW. With the surgery, he may never be back the way he was supposed to be.

Val Majewski had some potential to be a good player for us until he tore his labrum. Of course, J.J. Hardy is working on his second one (partial tear, no surgery) but recovered well from the first one (when he did have surgery).

He's had an odd minor league career. .941 in the NY-Penn, .712 in the Sally, .861 in the FLA, .702 and .736 in the Eastern, then .978 in the PCL.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.cgi?id=cecili001dar

I can only assume that if the Mets DFA'd him, nobody really believes those PCL stats mean anything.

Played for Las Vegas. Las Vegas is in the desert. So are mirages.

Archived