Offseason Rumors and Deals Around MLB

neveradoubt

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It doesn't need to be that plan. It can be the plan that Adam and Buck and Manny and Dan all stay through 2018. It can be that plan. It can be another plan. Many teams have won many different ways. Theo has a good formula. It works well. So did Billy Beane.

Absolutely. And I think it is the plan. Be competitive and hope for breaks. But then you aren't trading Machado to rebuild your farm -- and you need a farm for post-2018's plan.

Absolutely. And I think it is the plan. Be competitive and hope for breaks. But then you aren't trading Machado to rebuild your farm -- and you need a farm for post-2018's plan.

I think that time, marches on. And if they find that they stink, or Manny does not extend, that next off season will be different.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="ht" dir="ltr">Samardzija got $90M from Giants.</p>— Chris Cotillo (@ChrisCotillo) <a href="

">December 5, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="ht" dir="ltr">Mike Leake 2015: 3.70 ERA/4.20 FIP/3.93 xFIP, 1.7 fWAR (192 IP)

Jeff Samardzija 2015: 4.96 ERA/4.23 FIP/4.31 xFIP, 2.7 fWAR</p>— Beyond the Box Score (@BtBScore) <a href="

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="ht" dir="ltr">Mike Leake 2015: 3.70 ERA/4.20 FIP/3.93 xFIP, 1.7 fWAR (192 IP)

Jeff Samardzija 2015: 4.96 ERA/4.23 FIP/4.31 xFIP, 2.7 fWAR</p>? Beyond the Box Score (@BtBScore) <a href="

I'll try not to make this post too long, but Samardzija was completely and totally misused last year. His sequencing and pitching usage changed drastically. He greatly increased his cutter usage, which was one of the worst cutters in baseball, while greatly reducing the use of his 2 seam fastball which was a plus pitch for him in years prior. If someone fixes his sequencing they're going to get a guy who is much closer to 2014 Samardzija than 2015.

There has to be a plan, Weams. At some point, there needs to be a big picture with someone saying "This might not be popular/fun but I guess this is what we need to do." Well, I guess we have that already -- it's just the "unpopular" thing tends to be reclamation projects and/or assets devalued elsewhere. Which gives you a chance for lightening in a bottle and a decent shot at not being "that team" embarrassingly putting together 64 wins on the year.

Wherefore art thou, o great man of the baseball front office?

I'll try not to make this post too long, but Samardzija was completely and totally misused last year. His sequencing and pitching usage changed drastically. He greatly increased his cutter usage, which was one of the worst cutters in baseball, while greatly reducing the use of his 2 seam fastball which was a plus pitch for him in years prior. If someone fixes his sequencing they're going to get a guy who is much closer to 2014 Samardzija than 2015.

Agree and that was a coaching decision. Not to mention their defense was off the charts bad behind him.

Archived