How many $100 million free agent contracts will there be?

mdbdotcom

MLBTR has predicted $100 million deals for nine free agents, including two that will be over $200 million.

Is that even possible? Are there enough teams out there with that much money to spend who are open to making commitments of that length and AAV?

I'm skeptical. I think some of these guys will be looking for pillow deals so they can re-enter the free agent market next year, when it is projected to be much weaker.

What do you think?

MLBTR has predicted $100 million deals for nine free agents, including two that will be over $200 million.

Is that even possible? Are there enough teams out there with that much money to spend who are open to making commitments of that length and AAV?

I'm skeptical. I think some of these guys will be looking for pillow deals so they can re-enter the free agent market next year, when it is projected to be much weaker.

What do you think?

Remember, these are long term deals. It's not like the teams have to pony up $100 mm next spring. Looking at the proposed list:

Price - definite

Greinke - definite

Zimmerman - probable

Davis - probable

Heyward - definite

Upton - definite

Gordon - 50/50

Cueto - probable

Cespedes - probable

It's a stronger class than last year's, for sure.

Remember, these are long term deals. It's not like the teams have to pony up $100 mm next spring. Looking at the proposed list:

Price - definite

Greinke - definite

Zimmerman - probable

Davis - probable

Heyward - definite

Upton - definite

Gordon - 50/50

Cueto - probable

Cespedes - probable

It's a stronger class than last year's, for sure.

It's a much stronger class, but how many teams are there that are willing to make those kinds of commitments? In the AL, seven of 15 teams have never taken on a contract of $100 million or more, including the Orioles.

It's a much stronger class, but how many teams are there that are willing to make those kinds of commitments? In the AL, seven of 15 teams have never taken on a contract of $100 million or more, including the Orioles.

Well the times, they are a-changing. There have been 58 $100 mm deals in the history of baseball, and 24 of them have gone into effect in the last three seasons, including 6 of the 10 deals exceeding $200 mm. http://www.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/league-info/highest-paid-players/

Archived