Seems we barely talk about Zobrist

Spy Fox

...but signing him makes a LOT of sense, at least to me.

*Very well established as a good, ML regular.

*OBP guy, helps our OBP problem

*Switch hitter, helps our RH imbalance

*Can play LF or RF and of course fill in for the IFers when needed

*No QO so no draft pick loss

*And perhaps MOST relevantly, won't break the bank. Most experts have him at $15M or less for 3 or 4 years.

So why isn't he mentioned very often as a primary target? Age? Not enough power? Don't think we have a shot at him? Rather save $$ for the superstar targets? Everybody actually does talk about him and I just haven't noticed?

I have a feeling he is going to be more expensive than AAV 15 M. Every team just about can use him so there will be plenty of bidding. Plus he's the same age as Cruz, and if we didn't want to pay Cruz that kind of money why would we pat Zobrist.

MLB trade rumors had him at $17M per for three years. I agree, he'll have his suiters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...but signing him makes a LOT of sense, at least to me.

*Very well established as a good, ML regular.

*OBP guy, helps our OBP problem

*Switch hitter, helps our RH imbalance

*Can play LF or RF and of course fill in for the IFers when needed

*No QO so no draft pick loss

*And perhaps MOST relevantly, won't break the bank. Most experts have him at $15M or less for 3 or 4 years.

So why isn't he mentioned very often as a primary target? Age? Not enough power? Don't think we have a shot at him? Rather save $$ for the superstar targets? Everybody actually does talk about him and I just haven't noticed?

IMO he's old and expensive. I would not give him a four year contract.

The thing with Zobrist is that he was good value when he was cheap. Now at 17 million he losses value. Why not just spend a little bit more and get Davis/Heyward or a top notch SP.

Exactly.

Zobrist is going to be one of the first FA signed I think, because he's a position player with a good amount of action on him and he doesn't cost that coveted pick. His contract may set the market for others.

Zobrist is a good, useful player. 3/36 is the most the Orioles should go on him IMO and it looks like he'll get more if you believe the numbers being thrown around. The more this offseason develops and the more ridiculous the deals are projected to be, the more I'm inclined to take a "stars and scrubs" approach to this offseason. Waroriole is right, Zobrist is a good get for a contending team and I don't see the Orioles being that in 2016.

Zobrist is a good, useful player. 3/36 is the most the Orioles should go on him IMO and it looks like he'll get more if you believe the numbers being thrown around. The more this offseason develops and the more ridiculous the deals are projected to be, the more I'm inclined to take a "stars and scrubs" approach to this offseason. Waroriole is right, Zobrist is a good get for a contending team and I don't see the Orioles being that in 2016.

I think we're on the same page with the "stars and scrubs" approach. Instead of paying scrubs millions of dollars let's bring them in on milb deals with ST invites. Maybe there won't be a sell job that they will be all stars but you're saving money.

Pay for talent. Like Davis. DD needs to do is diving on the cheap. Last year he had "dollar tree" money and "five and below" taste. That's why we ended the year with 15 million dollars of dead money.

Archived