Trumbo an Oriole (For Clevenger Done Deal)

MASNPalmer

• Replies 663
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few opinions:

1) Trumbo is a tradable commodity. His trade value is limited but it may be enough to bring back a lefthanded hitting outfielder.

2) The O's are in the Davis sweepstakes until the bidding passes 6/120m. I haven't heard another offer that yet.

3) O's won the Trumbo/Clevenger trade. They got a major leaguer for a guy who was out of options and probably was not going to make the 25 man roster.

3) If the O's can sign O'Day they probably trade Britton.

4) Dan is probably willing to sign a free agent starter that costs a draft choice.

5) Budget feels like it is at 130m. It has been increasing at about 10m per year since Dan arrived.

6) Rule 5 pick may be an outfielder.

5) I am thinking Matusz and Janish are non tendered. O's may re-sign Matusz for a lower salary if he is not in demand of the FA market.

Seems like there is mostly upside to this trade - though Trumbo is fully capable of hitting .229 and being awful and Cleav can be a cheap, serviceable backup catcher - though apparently not this year.

Trumbo would have to have a phenomenal year to receive a QO, but it is entirely possible that he could be a good tradable commodity at the 2016 trade deadline with a good first half and with the Os out of contention.

It will be interesting to see the possible additional player for the Os. Difficult to believe the Ms are going to deal a non-tender candidate and then give up anything of quality off their 40 man roster - which would weaken the organization more than just non-tendering Trumbo. Otherwise, it might speak to Cleaving having more value than most here think - though not a lot.

I have posted multiple times that the current CBA has a revenue shift from the top 15 markets to the bottom 15 of about $16M per year starting this year. I do not believe all of this needs to go to player costs, but ownership could take the payroll up $10M-$12M and still make more $ if everything else is equal.

I think Trumbo is a good 1B candidate if Davis leaves while buying time for Mancini if needed.

You can't tie this to Wieters. The issue with Wieters is that he is replacing Joseph, so despite getting a market rate salary, the net effect for the Orioles isn't worth his salary - with Trumbo that's not a problem at all. Trumbo is replacing a giant hole on the roster.

The Orioles are going to spend the money they have to fill holes. They have no 1B, DH, LF, and RF, and they just spent $9M on a guy who can fill any of those positions (the first two better than the others). They were almost certainly going to have to do something similar to this for at least one of those positions, even if they want to go big or cheap on the other ones. We still have money to sign Davis if we want to. You can quibble about the specific player they chose to go with, but they can't field a full team without some moderately priced, market-rate moves like this, and Trumbo isn't all that objectionable.

Not to mention, it's a move before the Winter Meetings. When's the last time we did that? I mean besides ancillary moves?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I'm gonna extent an invite to my new teammate <a href="https://twitter.com/Mtrumbo44">@Mtrumbo44</a> to the 3rd annual StayHungry tailgate <a href="https://twitter.com/BMOREAroundTown">@BMOREAroundTown</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/PTisFLY">@PTisFLY</a> it only right</p>? 10 (@SimplyAJ10) <a href="
">December 2, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That's what I'm talkin' 'bout!

IM thinking that the payroll must be going up. If Angelos is really negotiating with Boras for Davis I doubt he will let Chris get away. Also we are hearing that they are in the ball park on O'Day. I have to think that Peter is finally done hiding the MASN money. This all sounds like really good news.

Don't know if it's MASN money or what... but yeah, Big Peter seems to be real interested and involved this offseason. I personally think the budget will go up just a small fraction this year. "The Plan." But I also think it would be very timely and easy for DD to bend Angelos' ear for an additional BIG move, if DD was really insistent this was THE player we needed. Like Davis. And maybe another, like a starter. I like Mike Leake myself.

A few opinions:

1) Trumbo is a tradable commodity. His trade value is limited but it may be enough to bring back a lefthanded hitting outfielder.

2) The O's are in the Davis sweepstakes until the bidding passes 6/120m. I haven't heard another offer that yet.

3) O's won the Trumbo/Clevenger trade. They got a major leaguer for a guy who was out of options and probably was not going to make the 25 man roster.

3) If the O's can sign O'Day they probably trade Britton.

4) Dan is probably willing to sign a free agent starter that costs a draft choice.

5) Budget feels like it is at 130m. It has been increasing at about 10m per year since Dan arrived.

6) Rule 5 pick may be an outfielder.

5) I am thinking Matusz and Janish are non tendered. O's may re-sign Matusz for a lower salary if he is not in demand of the FA market.

I'm hoping the "Rule 5 pick" is Dylan Bundy. But then again

I'm coming around to it. Hadn't realized that Clevenger was out of options. No real downside to this deal. It probably means we don't bring back Davis, but that was a longshot anyway.

It does seem this is an opportunistic grab with some nice upside.

Is it a clue to our confidence (lack of) in getting cd?

Are we going to be light at C when Weiters leaves next year?

is this the dumpster diving we've been wary of?

What is our plan for depth at C after next year?

Is this a reaction to possibility of getting DOD? Maybe front office wants dod more than cd and has made this move as a hedge to allow flexibility in dealing with DOD. If so i dig it. Shows some life and effort at DDs post.

I'm assuming that this means no Chris Davis. I'd love to be wrong, but this seems like a move that's based on an understanding that he won't be back.

Trumbo has some pop but the lack of on base percentage is a concern. That's something this team has always struggled with and hasn't gotten better with. There's nothing to be picked up here from a defensive flexibility perspective, either.

This trade doesn't make us better and I think it'd be unfair to say it makes us worse. Losing Davis makes us worse.

That said, he's an Oriole and I'll be rooting for him. Maybe he'll become a fan favorite player if he's hitting 25+ bombs a year. Here's hoping.

The optimist in me, see this as a bench depth and right handed back with some pop and can play some DH.

I don't see this as a replacement for Davis.

Heck, resign Davis and play Davis in the OF. :)

It cost them a third string catcher out of options, as much as I liked Steve, he was as good as gone, when Matt accepted the QO.

Archived