Os Sign O'Day for 4 Years - It's official

Nevermore

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just don't see a market for trading Britton. Maybe Seattle, maybe Houston. With pitching dominating so much, everyone seems to have a good closer. Houston is interesting because they have a 40 man roster crunch so they would be inclined to do a package for Britton.

The Cubs and Dodgers and maybe the Nats could be looking to improve their bullpens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love O'Day would love to see him back so long as it is at a can't refuse price. Either that or if they intend to trade Britton.

There are far to many holes on this team to fill. Spending big money on a reliever seems like a lower of the pecking order task right now IMO. Again if the eventual goal is to use Britton to trade and fill some other hole, then I could be down with that.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/theres-nothing-wrong-with-paying-big-for-darren-oday/

The argument against: as players go, Darren O'Day is relatively old, and old people wither and die. Also, O'Day is a reliever, and the perception is that relievers are made out of dry spaghetti noodles, subject to break with the lightest pressure. A four-year commitment to an aging reliever? No, sir. Better to find a starting pitcher, or maybe a young outfielder or something. Something you can set your watch to.

The argument for: Darren O'Day is really super good. The best predictor of someone being really super good next year is whether a player was really super good last year. Good players get big free-agent contracts. Really, that?s all you need to know. The rest of the post will only belabor this.

The last four years, 239 pitchers have faced at least 1,000 batters. O'Day ranks tied for 8th in OPS allowed, even with Matt Harvey. He’s right in front of Joaquin Benoit. He’s the only pitcher of the top 14 to spend the whole time in the American League.
Only one in the AL.

Devil's advocate: You can find reasonably good relievers for much less. Orioles have multiple holes to fill with no good plan B, there is a plan B for the pen. Guys who rely on trick pitches have a tendency to turn in to a pumpkin all of a sudden.

I'm not going to complain too much if he comes back, but this isn't some no-risk no-brainer. In two years we could be trading him to the Rays for a PTNBNL (the extra N is for never).

Devil's advocate: You can find reasonably good relievers for much less. Orioles have multiple holes to fill with no good plan B, there is a plan B for the pen. Guys who rely on trick pitches have a tendency to turn in to a pumpkin all of a sudden.

I'm not going to complain too much if he comes back, but this isn't some no-risk no-brainer. In two years we could be trading him to the Rays for a PTNBNL (the extra N is for never).

Never Later is a weird name for a P

I'll show myself out.

Just a few weeks ago I thought 7/21 was competitive, but now I'm starting to think it's going to have to be 4/32 or 4/36 to get a deal done.

You mean 3/21 right? 7 per?

4/28-4/32 is the last I heard, somewhere on the radio. I think 8 mil is appropriate in today's market and I would love to see him back. I don't see the Orioles being that team based on their needs and strengths.

How many long term contracts for relievers (let alone arguably "non-closer" relievers) have been net positives for their signing teams? And I'm just asking in terms of perceived market value for wins. Getting into the fungibility/replacement costs of relief pitchers is another issue entirely (i.e., it doesn't seem like you really need to pay market rates for effective relief. In fact, it seems like one of the few remaining areas where a lot of surplus value can be mined).

TL;DR: I suspect paying O'Day according to the FA market would be dumb.

Archived