Os Sign O'Day for 4 Years - It's official

Nevermore

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Very interesting, could it be Zach ?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cubs?src=hash">#Cubs</a> are actively exploring a trade for one of the top closers, baseball sources say.</p>? Jerry Crasnick (@jcrasnick) <a href="

">December 5, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

For a second I thought, Jorge Soler? Which would be amazing. But then I realized that would probably be too amazing and the Cubs would not do it.

Barry Svrugla from the Post said the Nationals don't want to give O'Day the fourth year and might be the deal breaker.
Not-so-gracefully balancing motherhood, reporting the news and watching more baseball than a prepubescent boy.

@ElizabethPrann

For a second I thought, Jorge Soler? Which would be amazing. But then I realized that would probably be too amazing and the Cubs would not do it.

Soler came up like a house on fire in 2014, but this year wasn't so impressive (.399 SLG playing half his games in a bandbox?). Plus he's making $2.7 million a year for now. Britton should get us Soler plus from the Cubs.

I'd be happy with bringing O'Day back at a 4/25 deal. From what I've read I'm guessing it's something in the neighborhood of a 3/24 (Nationals) versus 4/28 (Orioles).

Don't know what the front office's plan is regarding Britton, but if we are seriously considering trading him, we need to kick in that extra couple M to get O'Day's signing locked down. Let's get on with this off season already.

I'd be happy with bringing O'Day back at a 4/25 deal. From what I've read I'm guessing it's something in the neighborhood of a 3/24 (Nationals) versus 4/28 (Orioles).

4/28 would be a generous offer from the O's IMO. If the breakdown is what you suggest, then O'Day is right to squeeze until it's clear there's no fourth year coming from the Nats.

O'Day's great and all, but personally I think $7 million AAV relievers are a complete luxury for the Orioles this year given the other needs.

4/28 would be a generous offer from the O's IMO. If the breakdown is what you suggest, then O'Day is right to squeeze until it's clear there's no fourth year coming from the Nats.

O'Day's great and all, but personally I think $7 million AAV relievers are a complete luxury for the Orioles this year given the other needs.

7M is not too much for a closer. Especially if it allows you to trade your other 7 M closer for a good young OF bat. Britton is going to cost us 30 M the next 3 years so replacing him with O'Day at 7 isn't such a bad idea IMO.

7M is not too much for a closer. Especially if it allows you to trade your other 7 M closer for a good young OF bat. Britton is going to cost us 30 M the next 3 years so replacing him with O'Day at 7 isn't such a bad idea IMO.

If that's what they plan on doing, but not if they still plan to keep Britton at 10 mil per.

If we are offering the fourth year and the Nats aren't' date=' I think he would have already resigned here.[/quote']

According to Roch, Orioles are willing to (or perhaps have) gone 4 years.

As I've written previously, the Orioles are willing to offer a fourth year to O'Day, which keeps them in the running.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2015/12/duquette-on-non-tender-deadline-and-oday-plus-note-on-trumbo.html

Based on what we know (O's willing to go four, Nats not) my guess would be Nats are at something like 3/$28-$30 and O's are something like 4/$24-$26. That would give O'Day a lot to think about. The Nats offer is more guaranteed money for less years but the O's offer comes with a certain comfort level (Buck's bullpen usage included) plus the vote of confidence in terms of the 4th year. That would certainly create a scenario where Nats would be viewed as favorites but with enough reason to at least seriously consider the O's offer.

According to Roch, Orioles are willing to (or perhaps have) gone 4 years.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2015/12/duquette-on-non-tender-deadline-and-oday-plus-note-on-trumbo.html

Based on what we know (O's willing to go four, Nats not) my guess would be Nats are at something like 3/$28-$30 and O's are something like 4/$24-$26. That would give O'Day a lot to think about. The Nats offer is more guaranteed money for less years but the O's offer comes with a certain comfort level (Buck's bullpen usage included) plus the vote of confidence in terms of the 4th year. That would certainly create a scenario where Nats would be viewed as favorites but with enough reason to at least seriously consider the O's offer.

If I was O'Day and those were my options, I'd go with the Nationals offer. Now if the Nats offered 3/24-26 and O's offered 4/28-30, then I would lean to staying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a great idea....Cubs are seeking a closer via trade,

Who could we get?

Archived