Os Sign O'Day for 4 Years - It's official

Nevermore

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Monday morning QB says would you rather have Miller 4/$36M to close or O'Day 4$/31M to set-up? Miller's 2 1/2 years younger.

Will O'Day be moved to the closer role at some point?

Definitely seems like a "we know this guy, so we'll spend for him." That's why I've thought the only big FA PA will even consider is Davis.

More entertaining exercise -- go back and see how many who defended FO in NOT signing Miller will now defend FO in signing O'Day.

Obviously I'm not a fan of spending limited resources on either.

Yeah, I am not a four year reliever contract kind of guy.

Yeah, that doesn't make sense.

It's a bit of an overpay. We will see if there is going to be a lot more fence riding. Do they sign Davis? Do they add a SP? If not, do they trade Britton? If the answer to all of these questions is no, we still have no direction.

This is a great take and exactly how I feel. I like O'Day and contract isn't awful but we have major starting pitching needs as well as OF and Davis. I just hope it doesn't preclude anything else from happening.

If only that really was a drunk Gary Thorne.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The fun thing about this O'Day contract is that 20 teams are going to try and be trading for it in July.</p>— David Cameron (@DCameronFG) <a href="

">December 6, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Monday morning QB says would you rather have Miller 4/$36M to close or O'Day 4$/31M to set-up? Miller's 2 1/2 years younger.

Will O'Day be moved to the closer role at some point?

Tough call. Can I have both?

The importance of the high-leverage situation is starting to assert itself. In a day when the average pitcher goes 5-6 innings per start, the 9th may not be the most important inning in relief. My philosophy is that closing is overrated, and certainly saves, while relief pitching at least has been underrated in the past. So it comes down to the pitcher's worth regardless of role in the pen. O'Day has a longer track record but Miller can be one of the filthiest relievers in baseball. I think Miller has the higher chance of volatility catching up to him.

I'd love to see you go ahead and prove that statement.

I don't think it is the same people at all.

I doubt that anyone who wanted the O's to sign Miller is against the O'Day extension.

I think most of us that are against the O'Day deal are influenced by the fact that we know the Orioles have budget limitations.

But feel free to bring up some quotes that prove me wrong.

I suggest you don't waste time going through mine.

I'm all for a $200M budget, in which O'Day fits nicely.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The fun thing about this O'Day contract is that 20 teams are going to try and be trading for it in July.</p>— David Cameron (@DCameronFG) <a href="
">December 6, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That sounds like a Drunk David Cameron.

Tough call. Can I have both?

The importance of the high-leverage situation is starting to assert itself. In a day when the average pitcher goes 5-6 innings per start, the 9th may not be the most important inning in relief. My philosophy is that closing is overrated, and certainly saves, while relief pitching at least has been underrated in the past. So it comes down to the pitcher's worth regardless of role in the pen. O'Day has a longer track record but Miller can be one of the filthiest relievers in baseball. I think Miller has the higher chance of volatility catching up to him.

If closing is overrated Baltimore shouldn't be paying Britton the salary he'll get in 2016, right?

This is a great take and exactly how I feel. I like O'Day and contract isn't awful but we have major starting pitching needs as well as OF and Davis. I just hope it doesn't preclude anything else from happening.

I think most people who are seemingly against this deal have the same concerns. They don't expect the O's to up payroll and don't like the way DD is allocating resources.

Archived