Os Sign O'Day for 4 Years - It's official

Nevermore

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Darren O'Day has the lowest ERA in O's history (25 game minimum). 1.92 ERA in 273 games. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a></p>— Paul Folkemer (@PaulWFolk) <a href="

">December 6, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This contract is completely fine. O'Day is certainly worth 4/31 in this market. I don't care about any hometown appeasing fans nonsense, O'Day is a stud RP and he's getting paid what he's worth, even with plenty of room for surplus value if he stays healthy. You can't complain about these terms.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/theres-nothing-wrong-with-paying-big-for-darren-oday/

How this impacts the rest of this offseason is interesting. Unlike with the Trumbo trade, this is adding a player that doesn't fill a glaring hole. Either payroll is going way up, they're going to trade Britton, or we're going to have bad corner outfielders at both positions again this year. Davis is almost certainly out of the question, although I do think we'll snag Alvarez now, which I like a lot.

More entertaining exercise -- go back and see how many who defended FO in NOT signing Miller will now defend FO in signing O'Day.

Obviously I'm not a fan of spending limited resources on either.

This is exactly where I am at with this Stotle, and I could not have said it any better myself. Don't get me wrong, I really like Darren O'Day, but in my opinion this is not the way to spend limited resources.

That said, it might be OK if they have big plans behind this. If this is the engine that allows them to trade Zack Britton for a Haul that helps the team fill big holes at the Minor and Major league level then OK. But somehow, I just don't think that is the plan. I get the feeling this is just more poor decision making from the warehouse.

This contract is completely fine. O'Day is certainly worth 4/31 in this market. I don't care about any hometown appeasing fans nonsense, O'Day is a stud RP and he's getting paid what he's worth, even with plenty of room for surplus value if he stays healthy. You can't complain about these terms.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/theres-nothing-wrong-with-paying-big-for-darren-oday/

How this impacts the rest of this offseason is interesting. Unlike with the Trumbo trade, this is adding a player that doesn't fill a glaring hole. Either payroll is going way up, they're going to trade Britton, or we're going to have bad corner outfielders at both positions again this year. Davis is almost certainly out of the question, although I do think we'll snag Alvarez now, which I like a lot.

The price tag is actually 4/$31 MM and NOT a draft pick. Edited because I'm an idiot.

I can't believe the negativity on the board for this deal. He's the best reliever on the market. I'm very happy to have him back and I think he's going to help us win ballgames. You can look back at say you'd rather have Miller at 4-36... and I would to... but that's not productive. O'Day is an excellent reliever on a team that is going to depend on its bullpen.

This is exactly where I am at with this Stotle, and I could not have said it any better myself. Don't get me wrong, I really like Darren O'Day, but in my opinion this is not the way to spend limited resources.

That said, it might be OK if they have big plans behind this. If this is the engine that allows them to trade Zack Britton for a Haul that helps the team fill big holes at the Minor and Major league level then OK. But somehow, I just don't think that is the plan. I get the feeling this is just more poor decision making from the warehouse.

Sure -- if you trade Britton to fill holes and use a cost-fixed O'Day at closer to keep Givens cheap that would be a really smart collection of moves.

Archived